Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder Deactivation

Her454
    I kinda have an idea but can someone explain in simple English the advantages of this (as in the new Dodge Trucks) and the how's and why's...??? It is simply for gas mileage?
    Im looking at the 2006 GMC but I was reading about the new Dodge (I kinda like the look of them but still a diehard Chevy fan) and wanted some more info.....

Boatcop
    The cylinder de-activation is strictly to obtain better mileage.
    When cruising at a steady speed, or decelerating, or going downhill, the onboard computer cuts fuel and spark to 2 or 4 cylinders (depending on the style). When needed for acceleration or going up hills, all 8 cylinders kick in.
    I have that on my 2007 Tahoe, and the transition is seamless. You can't tell when it switches.
    On a recent trip, the display read from 18 MPG in 8 cylinder mode to 36 MPG in 4 cylinder mode, going on a straight road with gradual dips.

Tom Brown
    Yes, it's simply about mileage. GM is using it again too.
    GM was using it in the early 80s in their cadillacs but it didn't work out that great then. Apparently, the new systems are better... or so the manufacturers say.
    I like the new Dodge stuff but I think GM gets better mileage without that than Dodge does with it.

Tom Brown
    ...the onboard computer cuts fuel and spark...
    ... and compression, hence the reduced drag.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Back in the 80s those old Sleds would get stuck in the 4 cylinder mode on a hill. Everbody would have to get out and push!!!!!

Her454
    The cylinder de-activation is strictly to obtain better mileage.
    I have that on my 2007 Tahoe, and the transition is seamless. You can't tell when it switches.
    I guess that was my concern, since I hadnt driven one I wondered if you could feel anything when it switched back and forth or any power loss.....
    Any opinions on either truck? I miss my GMC but Im starting to like the Dodge...

Jordy
    Any opinions on either truck? I miss my GMC but Im starting to like the Dodge...
    Shirley, you can't be serious???

Her454
    LOL, I just dont know if I can do it........ I've never owned anything else so I thought a change might do me good but....... :cry: :cry:

Froggystyle
    Of course she's serious... and don't call her Shirley.

Tom Brown
    I guess that was my concern, since I hadnt driven one I wondered if you could feel anything when it switched back and forth or any power loss.....
    Dunno about the trucks but I've spent some time behind the wheels of the 300 and Magnum hemis and you can't tell. It's very smooth. The spec for cylinder reactivation is miliseconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast