Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Drag Boat Hull

UBFJ #454
    "allowing the engine to turn near optimum RPM and running an impeller that is more efficient leaving"
    That I agree with ... Wouldn't it be better to just build a motor to do that and eliminate the gear box or is it that your going to run a high winder you already have? Not criticizing ... Just Curious.
    Boat looks Great ... If we weren't running what we're running and being able to do what we're able to do, we'd be running one of Erv's Light Weight Cheyenne's.

sdba069
    In PGJ, we have the 500 cu in limit. To be competetive, you probably need to make better than 1250 HP. At 500 cu in., to make that much power, it would be in the 8500 RPM up range, and that's a little on the low side. Our Olds RPM is quite a bit higher than that. A guy from Houston that used to run PGJ spent an unbelievable amount of money on a Pontiac to make it run without the gearbox and never ran lower than mid 8.40's. I did the pump in the boat and it had a pretty nice keel in it. I think he was turning the motor about 7600 with a C- impeller. That may not be exactly right, but close.

UBFJ #454
    Gary - Thanks for the response ... Kinda figured that what was up.

FILUCKY
    Sounds kinda fast for an ol' timer there Garry! As my Mom likes to say "Thats a nice looking coffin." Looks good Garry.

1slowboat
    boat looks Awesome!!!!! I guess I should have come by instead of sending $$$, for d.s. :cry: :cry: . I'm sure i'll see it soon though :rollside:

sdba069
    Thanks guys.

taylormanss
    great looking boat ! BTW thanks for sending me the impellar nut and key Garry!

sdba069
    Glad to help.

Taylorman
    In PGJ, we have the 500 cu in limit. To be competetive, you probably need to make better than 1250 HP. At 500 cu in., to make that much power, it would be in the 8500 RPM up range, and that's a little on the low side. Our Olds RPM is quite a bit higher than that. A guy from Houston that used to run PGJ spent an unbelievable amount of money on a Pontiac to make it run without the gearbox and never ran lower than mid 8.40's. I did the pump in the boat and it had a pretty nice keel in it. I think he was turning the motor about 7600 with a C- impeller. That may not be exactly right, but close.
    Would that be Mike Ward?

sdba069
    Not Mike......... The guy I'm referring to quit racing about 4 years ago.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345