Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking a SET

vdrivenman
    need some advice. took the hondo out yesterday. cranked and ran great.
    the hull is 74 tdeck, basic stock 396 w 750 running 18%w 2 blade.tach was not working ??
    the boat hooked up fine out of the hole and ran out, did the usual flat/runner bobble and then acted like it wanted to take a set, but just would not do it.put a little down plate in and smooths out, but still will not break on over and set.
    felt like i had run out the back side and did not have enuff power(quit pulling).
    tried both ways, no peddle and with peddle, no set. this hull has a wing and i have never ran anything with one, what affect if any does this have on way hull rides.
    this hull previously had a twin turbo 350 and last a 468 blown /inj alky so that was the last set up. could i possibly not have enuff power ?
    the last flat we had was a big ole sanger bubble deck/true flat w 468 2 660's w 22%'s.took it a few hop's, but it would set and run.
    boat felt very close to taking set, it has been about 6 years since been in a flattie, so you know where i'm coming from ! gotta get that sense of feel back !

my guess is with the stock 96 you can't pull the 18's well. more likely need 15's or even 12's. the wing does nothing necessary at the speed you're likely going and may even be slowing you down. also what prop's on the boat? sound's like it had more power before too so your engine placement could be off for the reduced power or prop location (strut) or a combo of all these. Just my guesses. also every boat is different so don't try to compare the way this boat feels to the way the last one you had was.
    [ June 09, 2003, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

vdrivenman
    i felt that the 396 was not enuff to pull the gears. it felt as if i ran out of power before boat hooked up.
    the motor mounts and placement are same set up as with other motors. i felt i may have to move the motor forward to help break it over. how much would be recommended??
    i'll have to check the prop i am unsure of the size.
    the boat is not to race but ride the rivers and lake, but i owuld like for it to take a set.
    thanks for your advice.

GofastRacer
    I wouldn't go moving anything around until you get the power combo right, it might mess things up. Sounds like all you need to do is either up the power or gear it for the power you have, I'd up the power myself!... wink

vdrivenman
    i had orginally planned to go with more hp from the get go, but budget restraints was the reason.
    may have to just tuff it out this summer and build or purchase more HP next year.
    cause it ain't gonna happen tihs year !

BGMAN203
    If you posted some measurements it might help us help you. from transom to back of motor, from transom to v-drive plate, and end of strut barrel to back of plate. prop size and pitch. all this info will help.

vdrivenman
    i will obtain those measurements and check back in with them tomorrow.

vdrivenman
    here are the measurements:
    from transom to harmonic balancer 29"
    from transom to block 33"
    from transon to middle of casale box 91"
    from end of propstrut barrel to end of plates 25"
    best i could do on the prop is 11.25 across blade tip to tip,5" width of blade. unable to locate any numbers on prop.
    all advice welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i realize with a stock 396 it will not be that fast, but i owuld like for it to take a set and ride HOOKed up !

GofastRacer
    As I said, gear it down for the power you have, the boat wants to take a set but you got to have the power to hold it on a set. If you don't the boat will fall over and then it will try to pick itself up again and it will keep repeating, that's where the porpoising comes in!.

V-Drive Tom
    V-drivenman, Like GoFast said...
    Lower gear to 1.12%
    Nail Throttle
    Feel Good!!
    Your boat will work Moe Better!!
    If you need help, Please call if you like. wink
    TOM..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast