Thread: Lake McClure for big boats?

CAHotRodBoy
    Okay, I have some friends that live in Gardnerville, NV. They want to rent a houseboat for a week on Lake McClure and want me to go. It looks like a nice lake with trees and stuff (not found around here!) but I'm worried about it being a little small for my 29' Baja. I'm used to running on Mead and the ocean. Can anyone tell me how big the lake is in miles, length and width?

TahitiVC
    McClure is not a very big lake. It is long an narrow. I would suggest your friends get a houseboat on either Don Pedro or New Melones. Melones is much bigger and would be a nice place to run a boat that big. they are all relatively close together so it would not be much different driving time. I have been to all three and like Pedro the best.

ELIMINAT THIS
    We had a 28' and 26' cat on Mc Clure and had a great time.Its not big but nice.

Eliminator 4 Life
    CAhotrodboy I used to live up there and like said above I would definaltley rent the house boat on Don Pedro much bigger lake. Most of the wakeboarders go to Mcclure. I take my 26 to Don Pedro all the time and there is lots of room thinking about going sunday

CAHotRodBoy
    Thanks for the replies. Doesn't sound like the best lake for me but they have already set the reservations. It is a long azz haul from Vegas with no direct route other than crossing the Sierra's. Not real excited about doing that towing the boat. But, if I go without my boat I'll be saying the whole time "I should have brought the boat". The trip is not till Sept so maybe I'll have time to do a reconnisence trip without the boat before hand.

HighVoltage 329
    Bring your boat it is a nice lake then you should do a day trip to Don Pedro to check it out.

wedge44
    Bring your boat it is a nice lake then you should do a day trip to Don Pedro to check it out.
    definately recommend Don Pedro....Did I mention I have 2 RV full hook-up sites availible...my brother decided to get married that week-end ..it's still early enough to get my money back but they are nice back to back sites I'd let go to someone ont the boards first.....Wedge
    Here is link too exact campsite...wedge
    http://www.donpedrolake.com/Campgrou...on=6&Site=H-88

Sherpa
    I'd say there's more wakeboard boats on Pedro than McClure..........
    Pedro is a bit bigger, but not bu much..... most of the gold-country/valley
    lakes are about the same size/type terrain.......
    Your boat would be fine on any of those lakes......... as for trees/stumps,
    that would only be in the very upper coves.....
    --No worries...
    --Sherpa

Beer-30
    If I can put my 30-footer on a 1-mile by 1/4 mile reservoir that is 5 feet deep - average - you can put your 29' on McClure. I am quite certain it is much deeper than Buena Vista.

Sangerdude
    Ditto!
    Go Pedro rather than McClure!
    Melones is nice too! You can always go fishin for some dead gangsta's at the big bridge too!:devil: