Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit card use without having the card?

SnoopJonnyJon
    This will seem like a bit of an odd inquiry since EVERYONE has a credit card these days but so far I have not. Just last friday I found out that I will need to go on a business trip to Nebraska for 4 weeks, leaving just a few days from now. I will need to pay for flights, rental car, hotel, etc out of my pocket and will be reimbursed when I return. This isn't a problem for people with credit cards, because the company will pay you back before payment is due. For me, it is a real pain because I pay cash or cheque for everything.
    So anyways, my plan is to try to go get a credit card tomorrow morning. I know I won't be able to get the actual card, but will come away with a number and expiry date. Some of my buddies claim this will be all I need and I can should be able to use that to pay for the hotel, etc... but I am worried I will get there and be turned away if I don't have the tangible card in my hand.
    Anyone here have any guesses if it will work or not?

photo chick
    This will seem like a bit of an odd inquiry since EVERYONE has a credit card these days but so far I have not. Just last friday I found out that I will need to go on a business trip to Nebraska for 4 weeks, leaving just a few days from now. I will need to pay for flights, rental car, hotel, etc out of my pocket and will be reimbursed when I return. This isn't a problem for people with credit cards, because the company will pay you back before payment is due. For me, it is a real pain because I pay cash or cheque for everything.
    So anyways, my plan is to try to go get a credit card tomorrow morning. I know I won't be able to get the actual card, but will come away with a number and expiry date. Some of my buddies claim this will be all I need and I can should be able to use that to pay for the hotel, etc... but I am worried I will get there and be turned away if I don't have the tangible card in my hand.
    Anyone here have any guesses if it will work or not?
    Are you saying you don't even have a debit card from your bank account? I'm assuming you don't have one of those... I would book your hotel over the phone, that way you have a room regardless. You may have to leave extra cash with the hotel when you check in for incidentals. I can't imagine you'll being able to rent a car without a credit card in your hand. Maybe your bank can issue you one right away. I know I lost my debit card and they gave me a new one on the spot, I'd say that's your best bet....
    good luck!

YeLLowBoaT
    most companys will over night you a card if you ask for it...

SnoopJonnyJon
    I do have a Interact debit card from my bank. I just don't want to pay for the entire trip myself right now. The plane is about $2500, and I have no idea what hotel and car rental will be. I'm only sitting on about $6000 in the bank right now, so I don't want to get in a situation where I have no money to pay my bills here at home. If there is anyway I could get a credit card made up on the spot that would be perfect.

Nord
    I do have a Interact debit card from my bank. I just don't want to pay for the entire trip myself right now. The plane is about $2500, and I have no idea what hotel and car rental will be. I'm only sitting on about $6000 in the bank right now, so I don't want to get in a situation where I have no money to pay my bills here at home. If there is anyway I could get a credit card made up on the spot that would be perfect.
    I'm guessing your going to be 1099'd on this. Just pay with travelers checks or money order and keep reciepts. Everyone accepts money order from a bank..

Nord
    If you can't, or don't want to front the money, then ask for the company credit card. They should issue you access under the conditions.

photo chick
    If you can get a CC over night great. Otherwise, can you ask your company for a cash advance for travel? You're right, that's a long trip to come out of your pocket. I was a corp accountant for years and I wrote advance checks for travel all the time.

photo chick
    I just re-read the cost of your airfare....you fly first class or what? That's crazy expensive!!

came along during the sunk boat thread
    if you can get a CC number and ex date, you'll most likely need the security code on the back as well.

rrrr
    Snoop, you don't have to rent the entire airplane.......you only need one seat.
    Fukkin' farmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast