Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFI Balancers

ghittner
    I've run a Performance Products SFI balancer on my 454 for two seasons for probably 60 hours total with max RPM 6500 and it's coming apart.... SCARY!!!
    This is the second one I've had as the first one was wobbling right out of the box! Has anybody had these problems? I don't want a GIGANTIC hole in my boat.
    What balancers has anybody run with no problems???? Thanks

wsuwrhr
    I run Fluidamper's on my Dodges, but alot of people don't like them.
    Ati's are a nice balancer also.
    My .02,
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    What does Performance products say about your problem?
    Brian

Rocket-J
    Most 454 BBC are "externally" balanced unless it is a built motor with "internally" balanced parts. It is important to get the correct balancer for what you have. Double check your balancers application. Al

steelcomp
    ATI Super Damper, TCI Rattler, or Fluidamper are the expensive one's, but they're the best. For a conventional type with the elastomere, Summit makes a very good one (SFI approved, steel- not cast, made in Australia) and Pioneer makes the Powerbond brand, which is also steel, and SFI apprroved. I have one of the Summit balancers on my 467, and It's a decent piece for the price.

sanger rat

steelcomp
    My choice. http://www.pro-race.com/
    That's the same part that Summit sells as their dampener. It's a nice piece.

GOSFAST
    These units, the "Pro-Race" brand, we're told, are made in Australia by a company named Cyco Systems Corporation Inc. It appears correct on the surface. We do know that the "Professional-Products" brand is mfd. in China. Haven't used any of the "Pro-Race" specific brand, and therefore have no feedback as of today. However we did lose a couple of the BB "Professional-Products" brand on the dyno recently. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

steelcomp
    Here's some more on the subject from anohter site:
    This is not even close to a "cheap copy of an ATI"
    Maybe these pictures can answer your question,,,
    Alcohol Modified with about 8 or 10 -
    50 lap races,,,,
    Stickers are cheap but do not seem to mean quite as much as they did at one time,,,
    As for fluid type dampers I do not put them on anything I build.
    Spend the money on an ATI or at a minimum something with a track record like BHJ,, etc.
    Just my opinions of course,,,
    http://wsm.ezsitedesigner.com/share/...Damper_002.jpg
    http://wsm.ezsitedesigner.com/share/...Damper_003.jpg

ghittner
    The Professional Products Dampner is external or internal balance by leaving or removing the attached counterweight. So, yes the application was correct. First time shame on you, second time shame on me... No more Professional Products. Thanks folks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast