Thread: Vertex Magneto Mounts For BBC

retromek
    How Important is it to have a better than stock mount clamp to hold that magneto down?
    Also are those nylon/teflon type shims good enough to use to space the mag on the intake manifold?

How Important is it to have a better than stock mount clamp to hold that magneto down?
    Also are those nylon/teflon type shims good enough to use to space the mag on the intake manifold?
    i personally have never used any kind of special hold-down for the mag on any of my blown/unblown, inj or n/a engs...i used the solid mounting tab (bought from any auto supply) with n/p of any kind...as far as the shims go...if ur trying to raise the mag up for some reason?...they make a slip collar (i dont know who carries them)...someone on here can tell u where to get one or may have a spare...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

Fiat48
    The old early chevy clamp mounts are very good. OEM ones...not aftermarket copys. Otherwise buy the best STEEL holdown you can...no china shit. Mags like to turn....so you need a good holdown. Look to Moroso or something like that.
    Depends on how much you are shimming. If you are trying to use a tall deck mag base in a low deck..then you need to do slip collar deal. Take it to a machinest.

obnoxious001
    I have a slip collar Vertex, or you can take yours to GT Performance in Montclair, since I see you are in Upland.

retromek
    I don't have a TAll deck But here's the pict. Just trying to shim up the 1/16" or so. Moroso sells the Nylon washers on the left, just wondering if that's the way to go.

Fiat48
    Is the gap cause by the mag hitting the hold down stud? Can't tell in the picture.
    I see no problem using a spacer...nylon or otherwise. But be sure to figure out why you need it in the first place.
    Remove the dist gear and set the mag in. It will bottom in the oil pump drive. Now you want to space it up so it doesn't bottom in the drive because that will damage the oil pump. But you want as much engagement as possible in the drive as you can. Space accordingly.
    Sometimes they machine the manifold too deep. Sometimes it is because of decking, head milling and so on.

kaqster
    My MAg shop MagTech in Indianapolis uses only metal shims. They come in lots of different thicknesses. I run a good billet clamp, but will probably go to a nice Steel unit.

GofastRacer
    I've used the nylon shims no problem, just keep an eye on them they will squish over time, don't have to worry about the metal ones!. For a clamp use the old OEM ones or a good "STEEL" one forget about those cheap pot metal junkers, even those fancy billet aluminum ones aren't the greatest as far as I'm concerned!..

Fiat48
    Yeah...made my own Billet aluminum one. Pretty thing it was. But eventually it bent. Lessons learned.
    But I think the weight loss was worth .000001 e.t. But could have been the wind.

Yeah...made my own Billet aluminum one. Pretty thing it was. But eventually it bent. Lessons learned.
    But I think the weight loss was worth .000001 e.t. But could have been the wind.
    That was good Bob. We learned sometimes saving weight didn't get it. If you don't finish you don't make any points or the money.....Steve