Thread: whippled 496HO Vs 496HO w/raylar 525 kit and dana headers

Hotcobra270
    need some opinions guys.. which set up do you think will yield me the best performance for the money? im also looking for reliability in the system.. i like the whipple since i think i will give me the most HP, but im worried about the reliability in the long run... what do you guys think? can you please give me the pros and cons of each set up

Beer-30
    The Raylar kit has a much better reliability factor. Nothing against Whipple at all, just the cast pistons in the 496 are not faithful. A handful have gone several hours with Whipples and not failed. Many others have failed. They just were not designed to handle measurable boost. If you DID go with Whipple, I would stay at NO MORE than 3.5lbs of boost.
    The other benefit to the Raylar kit is the weight savings. That alone is like free horsepower. The Whipple will add weight - The Raylar kit reduces weight by around 100lbs.
    If you built up the motor later, you would need a new blower with Whipple (bigger). If you build up the motor later, the Raylar kit will stay the same, but you will just change cam and ECM programming - and you don't necessarily HAVE to do that.
    Either way, the headers would be suggested - so that is a moot point.