Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: To Dyno or not to Dyno

Yeah, and anything the customer wants to see!..
    How about this one? Are you saying that the consumer is getting buffaloed?

Moneypitt
    I haven't been on v drive and seen it yet, but IF I had an oppertunity to use a dyno for testing I would be all over it. Testing meands pulling, changing, pulling, changing...........You know, about a weeks worth, Free of course. Now I will be glad to document everything and post a nice informative thread about the results, just need the free dyno time...........Ray

GofastRacer
    Well here's my take on a dyno, if you're intentions are just to do experimenting and to find out how much power you can squeeze out of a motor then that's fine and dandy, otherwise put the motor in the boat and run it, if you're out in front you have enough power so who gives a shit, why waste the money and wear and tear on the motor on the dyno, the tune up on the dyno is out to lunch when you put it in the boat anyhow. And unless you really know the dyno shop and the operator, you're likely to get the numbers your hoping to get anyhow!... That is my personal feelings about it!..

GofastRacer
    I am particularly interested in this response. What are you implying Art? Are you saying that dyno operators are disreputable?
    Yes there are some that are, I have seen it personally, I'm not saying that all are disreputable!..

GofastRacer
    How about this one? Are you saying that the consumer is getting buffaloed?
    Some are some aren't!..

Fiat48
    Please link me to the site / thread where dyno's were discussed.

dossangers
    There good sales tools also backs up what ever the builders selling for the uninformed !!! and you know your engine runs!!!!!! that you just shelled out 20k for!!:jawdrop:

Well here's my take on a dyno, if you're intentions are just to do experimenting and to find out how much power you can squeeze out of a motor then that's fine and dandy, otherwise put the motor in the boat and run it, if you're out in front you have enough power so who gives a shit, why waste the money and wear and tear on the motor on the dyno, the tune up on the dyno is out to lunch when you put it in the boat anyhow. And unless you really know the dyno shop and the operator, you're likely to get the numbers your hoping to get anyhow!... That is my personal feelings about it!..
    Art, You could not be more way off base! We go from the dyno to the water and might be a jet off. If you think a pull on the dyno is any harder on a motor than a full pass at the track you are sorely mistaken. Breaking in a motor on a dyno is far more thorough than running it at the lake as well. I am fairly sure that you cannot be as accurate in BSFC #s as well, a dyno. $500 to get a motor dialed is chump change compared to 2 races or trips to the lake. When you get the motor off the dyno it is ready to go. How do you think the people who are out in front got there? They spent countless hours doing their homework on a dyno.

GofastRacer
    Art, You could not be more way off base! We go from the dyno to the water and might be a jet off. If you think a pull on the dyno is any harder on a motor than a full pass at the track you are sorely mistaken. Breaking in a motor on a dyno is far more thorough than running it at the lake as well. I am fairly sure that you cannot be as accurate in BSFC #s as well, a dyno. $500 to get a motor dialed is chump change compared to 2 races or trips to the lake. When you get the motor off the dyno it is ready to go. How do you think the people who are out in front got there? They spent countless hours doing their homework on a dyno.
    Then how did the guys back in the day that couldn't afford dyno's still won races and set records!..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast