Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: To Dyno or not to Dyno

FLYTE RISK
    Ya know, I myself will chine in. We all know dynos depending on the builder SLASH owner of the dyno and engine being bult can produce most any number they promise. My limited experience is as my friend Anthony stated it is cheap insurance to know is it my tune up or is it the 2 inches I moved the prop forward or maybe the new carbs. I am running or, or, maybe the new propellor! My point obviously, we all know the guy walking around bragging about the dyno #'s and we have all beat the guy who had more than our GUESSTIMATED horse power, however that guy knows his numbers so what are mine? Fact is I have never dynoed a motor but I have put the money away to do it this time, see no need to waste the time otherwise!!!

WILDERTHANU
    Fiat, My problem is not with the Way Art does things, rather the way he slams dynoing as a waste of time and money.
    Now really, who honestly believes that.

cyclone
    If a person is smart enough and open minded enough to learn and utilize to his advantage the information generated from a dyno session....it can be an extremely valuable tuning tool and the 500-800 dollars spent are worth every penny.
    Example..my current motor made 80hp more on the 30th dyno pull than it did on the first dyno pull because we were tested, tested, tested. parts, valve lash, cam timing, ignition timing, fuel curves..everthing was tweaked in the name of finding more power and.....improving drivability at the rpm i cruise my boat at when its not at the track. Aside from maintaining the valve lash and keeping an eye on the jetting during extreme weather changes..i've havent had to do much to the motor after putting it into the boat.
    If learning how to make more power with your own engine is not important or you like to drop the engine in the boat after its built and mess with it at the lake or race track the the dyno might not be for you. The dyno is not just to brag about how much power the motor makes unless you are writing a magazine story to sell the reader on a particular engine combo or you want your friends to know how much power your motor makes right before they drive by your ass.
    Is the dyno perfect? nope. but in the right hands and with the right people dissecting the information it can make the difference between winning and losing or having a frustrating first day at the lake with your new boat motor. my two pennies in the bucket.

haulina29
    I would like to read what BBT thinks about dyno time...........

GofastRacer
    My problem is not with the Way Art does things, rather the way he slams dynoing as a waste of time and money.
    Ok Tony, enough is enough read my posts I did not slam dynoing or said it was a waste, it does have it's benefits if you're experimenting with stuff, but I can't justify paying $500 just to tell me I have the wrong pill in the injector, the plugs tell me that!.. Over and out!....

steelcomp
    When I first started boat racing I was totally against dynoing. I thought it was pointless and a waste of money. Fast forward to today and I think you are crazy if you dont dyno a new motor or altered motor.
    Word.
    Some see the light, some don't. It's been said before, there are two kinds of dynos...the kind used for numbers, and the kind used as a tool. A dyno, as a tool, can't be compared to, and it's value can't be measured, IMO. When you're measuring trends, there's no better way than the dyno. Big numbers are what's so, but they're also so what. I've seen more than one engine that had lower peak output on the dyno (compared to other competitive engines), but you couldn't touch it on a track. I've seen customers totally screw up a good engine because it didn't make as much power as the "next guy's" engine. :cry: Then they go out and, after screwing it up, bitch because it didn't perform. Had they left it alone, they'd have been setting records. (This is on Cup level racing, believe it or not!!)
    IMO, a dyno is just another one of a true engine builder's tools...and is as important and necessary as his torque wrench.
    Little story. When I dynoed my 467, I got a little careless. I had set my float levels on the bench when I did the carbs. I've been setting up Holleys for 30 yrs, and can get the floats close enough on the bench to run the thing with out adjustment. Once running, I'll go and check the levels, but they're usually within a 1/4 turn or so. This time, I thought I'd set them on the dyno before we ran the engine...get 'em all perfect, 'n shit. :notam: Well, I had never used those stupid clear plugs on the side of the bowl, and consequently, got the float levels WAY too low...which I should have figured, since I had to screw the needle/seats way down. I didn't pay attentipon to this, and on the first pull, the carbs went dry, and thanks to the quick reactions of Steve Brule' and Dave Ebbert, they saw the A/F ratio shoot to like 20-something to 1, and immediately shut down. I knew exactly what had happened, and went out and re-set the levels the old fashioned way, and everything was fine. Less experienced operators may not have seen this in time, nad reacted as quickly, either. Point is, had I taken the boat to the lake and did this, the motor would have been scrap in seconds. That dyno session, regardless of what it cost, saved me about 20G right there. We went on to pick up about 50 hp trying things that you would never see the results of at the track, in as little time, with as little effort. It didn't matter what the motor made, just that it made as much as it could for what it was, and that I wasn't leaving anything on the table. As it was, it made awsome power, and I was real happy, but that was an after-effect, not really the goal.
    Just my .02

Ok Tony, enough is enough read my posts I did not slam dynoing or said it was a waste, it does have it's benefits if you're experimenting with stuff, but I can't justify paying $500 just to tell me I have the wrong pill in the injector, the plugs tell me that!.. Over and out!....
    No need to get upset Art. Just having a discussion on Dynos. I admire your expertise and look forward to racing you on the track.

GofastRacer
    No need to get upset Art. Just having a discussion on Dynos. I admire your expertise and look forward to racing you on the track.
    It's all good brutha, feeling's mutual!..

IMO, a dyno is just another one of a true engine builder's tools...and is as important and necessary as his torque wrench.
    Now just when I was starting to like you Steel.
    The funny thing about the whole dyno thing is we all pretty much agree. It can be used to test different combinations & components to get more out of a motor. Or it can be used for advertising & to brag on the boards. Hell I did learn something from a dyno recently, I heard running less oil will give you more HP, 5 hp per quart if I remember correctly.
    But being I am not a "True" engine builder. I really should not be posting anything on this thread anyway.

78Eliminator
    Morg, just face it...........you are just some "primered injected wannabee"

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast