Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sealed Oil Bath Trailer Bearings.....leaking.

RiverToysJas
    My Extreme trailer has another leaking oil bearing. Theses are the "never leak" sealed bearings.
    Anyone know how these things work, and if it's a fairly simple fix to refill and seal them?
    My wheel it off, and there is an allen head screw into the side of them. Is to fill them, or take then apart? They just take 80/90 gear oil correct?
    I know I could take it to Extreme and Tony would handle it.....it's the two trips to Riverside I'm trying to avoid.
    Thanks!
    RTJas

My Extreme trailer has another leaking oil bearing. Theses are the "never leak" sealed bearings.
    Anyone know how these things work, and if it's a fairly simple fix to refill and seal them?
    My wheel it off, and there is an allen head screw into the side of them. Is to fill them, or take then apart? They just take 80/90 gear oil correct?
    I know I could take it to Extreme and Tony would handle it.....it's the two trips to Riverside I'm trying to avoid.
    Thanks!
    RTJas
    i know how your feeling even though i live in norco,still tough to get the boat over there.

jbtrailerjim
    Get rid of the oil bath and go with grease packed. Grease packed don't leak nearly as often. Pack them with a high temp synthetic grease.

RiverToysJas
    Hey Jim! I know, I found a small chip in the bottom, and might have hit Lavey before my first trip too. How've you been??? Still rollin' the Party Prowler?
    ......Here's what I got, if it helps anyone.....
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...30bearing1.jpg
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...30bearing2.jpg
    Notice the front is shiny from the oil leaking!
    Thanks again,
    RTJas

RiverToysJas
    Get rid of the oil bath and go with grease packed. Grease packed don't leak nearly as often. Pack them with a high temp synthetic grease.
    What kind of a job is it to replace them? All new hubs right?
    RTJas

shockwaveharry
    Hey Jason! I haven't done it on a boat trailer but I can't imagine it being very difficult. Should be an o-ring that seals the chrome unit to the hub, and a seal around the spindle at the rear bearing. I would think the o-ring is leaking, or maybe the allen plug? I bet Extreme would give you some pointers over the phone on the exact service procedure, which is probably very simple.
    I know there's alot of debates over oil bath/bearing buddies thing... I boiled the grease out of my bearings once comming down the mountain and swore I was going to switch to the oil bath system... Haven't done it yet but I will.

jbtrailerjim
    What kind of a job is it to replace them? All new hubs right?
    RTJas
    No, you don't have to change out the hubs. You'll need new inner seals, and a couple sets of bearing buddies. I don't know if you get out to Ontario very often but these guys http://www.arrowtrailer.net/ will have everything you need.

HOTPURSUIT
    Oil bath bearings are not for boat trailers. They potentially can cause so many problems. And there are not any great advantages over grease.
    For the trucking industry they are great, but not for boat trailers that sit most of the year.

Beer-30
    No, you don't have to change out the hubs. You'll need new inner seals, and a couple sets of bearing buddies. I don't know if you get out to Ontario very often but these guys http://www.arrowtrailer.net/ will have everything you need.
    You don't need anything other than new inner seals (always replace them when you take things apart), and a full set of bearing buddies.
    Just take the bearings out, clean them, and pack them - by hand - with a real good grease. I use Mobil-1 synthetic as it is impervious to water and the hubs are always cool to the touch during travel.
    We had oil hubs on a 4 car-carrier trailer, and they kept puking. We just repacked them with grease, and had no problems for the next 250,000 miles.
    Bearings don't care what they have as lube, they just have to have one or the other.

THOR
    Mine do the same thing Jason. I will be taking mine to Extreme and dealing with is that way. The drive sucks, but I will have some peace of mind rolling to the river. I talked to Tony Ramirez at the boat show and he told me to bring it in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast