Gangsta Rap is here to stay unfortunately. When I was a kid it was about 2 MC's battling to see who's lyrics were the dopest. We had true MC artists like KRS ONE and Rakim. Even LL Cool J was a lyracist. For years he Battled Kool Moe D. These battles used to go back and forth from album to album. It was great. It sold lots of records and it had a huge fan base.
In my opinion Hip Hop is not dead but it is dying quickly. True lyracists like Common, Mos Def, Q-tip don't sell records. The art is dead. The only thing that sells now is Killin, Drugs, Sex, and Money.
I hate Gangsta Rap now even though I loved it as a kid. I guess I grew up and realized what it has done to our communities and our youth. Today's society is truly lost because we have parents smoking weed with thier kids because they cant tell thier kids not to smoke dope. They have been smoking dope in front of them since they were babies. Afterall if it wasn't cool to do this all the Rappers wouldn't rap about gettin high.
The bigger problem is the violence. How many songs talk about blastin a fool, smokin a fool....etc. Gun this, Glock that. "Robbin, stealin, killin at willin". I'm done with rap. I dont care how cool the beat is. Lets face it some of these songs are really cool to listen or dance too. But I wont play it in front of my kid. I would rather her grow up being a nerd than knowing whats so called "cool".
There are two many kids in this world that have parents that don't give a crap because they listen to the same crap and think its cool to dress in clothes 5 sizes too big. This "THUG MENTALITY" is not cool. Elementary school kids are runnin around looking like snoop dogg. Who's buyin this crap for thier kids to wear? The weed smoking parents who think its cool too.
My rant is done even though I could go on for days.