Thread: Mallory YL Conversion ?

Slick
    I'm running a Mallory Marine, single-point, non tach drive distributer. I'd like to install one of the conversion kits. Mallory offers two different kits. One is a Unilite Breakerless conversion and the other is a Magnetic Breakerless conversion.
    What would be the advantages and disadvantages of either Unilite and Magnetic? Is one more desireable than the other?
    Thanks
    Slick

BBC502
    You might want to consider the Magnetic vs. the Unilite or Pertronix makes a unit that fits. I have a Unilite and have replaced it several times. There are to many don't does when using the Unilite like battery jumping. I have several friends who haven't had to replace the Unilite module in a couple years. My .02 worth...Bill

SeaYaBye
    Slick..I've used the Pertronix conversion in my Presolite Marine distributor for 2 years now with no problems!! They now offer a IgnitorII that is suppost to give 3 to 5 times more spark between 3000 to 5000 rpm. Its' about the same price as the Unilite [through Summit] and the installation is slick..you just repalce the whole top plate in your distributor and use your regular cap and rotor! Just a thought[sorry,I sound like an add] T.R.C.

Jordy
    I'd go with the magnetic. Some of the drop in replacements I have seen, and I don't know if these are that style, but use an infra red beam and a shutter wheel to trigger the spark. Too much to go wrong there in my opinion. I have a Pertronix distributor, with the small cap, sitting in my shop. I also have an HEI distributor out there too.
    Jordy

Slick
    So what you're saying is I should just stop by and raid your garage like usual

Hustler
    So Slick, Where do we stand right now? is the motor in? could it possibly see water this year? wink

78Eliminator
    Hustler:
    So Slick, Where do we stand right now? is the motor in? could it possibly see water this year? wink I doubt it. If he maybe stopped smoking so much and spent the cigarette money on parts, he might have been running a few months ago.
    [ September 25, 2002, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Slick
    Or maybe I shouldn't let you bum them off me when you get too drunk to realize you're smoking.
    Hustler, I'm installing carpet these days. It's going to be a red Biatch. I'll put some pics up in the next couple days.