Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custody issue/questions

AZJD
    I know this is a touchy and sometimes lousy topic, however I have seen and given some good advice to fellow HB'ers in reguards to this type of topic.....
    I have a 6 yr old daughter, and when her mother and I split I was broke as a joke and could not afford to put up the dough for a long fight. My ex has tons of family money. With that being said, I gave up custody and have been seeing my daughter once or twice a week for a couple of hours in the afternoons for the past 3 1/2 years.
    I have played the nice card with the ex so that I don't put my daughter thru what I went thru as a child. I have recently been asking for more time with her and her answer was flat out NO! She said, and I quote "hire an attorney, but remember I have 10 of them and you will never get custody." WTF
    So general info question to any dads out there that have gone through this! What can I expect........? Wat are my options? What kind of time frame does something like this need to be resolved? I don't do drugs! I drink socially! I don't have criminal record or DUIs or anything like that! Just want to spend more time in my daughters life......
    Any input would be great! Thanks.......

Jyruiz
    Sorry to hear bro, but I don't think you need to get an attorney to ask for more time. If your record is as clean as you say, I don't see why a judge would not allow you more time. Either way, I wish you good luck and hope to get to spend more time with your little one.

Kilrtoy
    Been there done that and you are at her mercy , I hate to say that but that is the case...

riverbound
    ANYthing that can be used against you WILL. even stuff as small as things, comments, posted on line. If you can prove you are a positive Role model, and a good father figure you are still in for a fight, but with the ammount of money she has to throw around you will have to throw in quite a bit too. I guess the question is, how much is more time with your daughter worth to you?
    Im in no way doubting your love for your daughter, but I have seen buddies go through this in the past and it was very expensive for them

YeLLowBoaT
    Try to keep it out of court if you can. If ever thing is on the up and up I don't see why she would not let you spend more time with her. I hate to see it go to court. I'm in the process of getting custdity of my cousin.( atleast temporaly)
    and I quote "hire an attorney, but remember I have 10 of them and you will never get custody."
    statments like that will cost her latter on. Its time to start a record of every thing that is said and when.

riverbound
    Sorry to hear bro, but I don't think you need to get an attorney to ask for more time. If your record is as clean as you say, I don't see why a judge would not allow you more time. Either way, I wish you good luck and hope to get to spend more time with your little one.
    True, but if she (her family) has lawyers on the payroll. they will look high and low for "dirt" and the smallest things will be blown out of proportion and out of context.

AZJD
    Her family is very wealthy and has a ton of lawyers on the payroll! I am trying and have been for 3 years to keep this out of court. She is re-married now and ever since the wedding my time has been cut shorter. Stepdad has full access to her at school and on weekends, however I can't even pick her up from school!

Jordy
    however I can't even pick her up from school!
    Apparently your Ricky Bobby style driving has done nothing to impress her... :jawdrop:
    That sucks that she's playing this game now J. Was really hoping that you both had grown up in the last 8 years, sucks that it seems to be somewhat one sided.
    All you can do is keep doing what you are doing. Spend as much time as you can with Kaylee as often as you can. You know the grandpa card will get you nowhere, but what about the grandma card? She's one of the sweetest, most genuine people I've ever met in my life. You know it's just the evil blood pulling the strings right now.

DK18
    Hate to be in your shoes! Im thankfull my ex will at least let the kids decide what they want to do and when they want to come over. If your ex isnt letting her come over even when she asks.. Thats F#cked up! Lifes supposed to be about the kids!

Deano
    Why would your time be cut shorter? If your divorce papers say otherwise, then you can just go down to the court and get that taken care of quick.
    My only advise is to get on everyones good side. It will work out to more time and of course better for your child. It is extremely difficult for a father to get custody.
    I was dating a girl that had children with a well known celeb. She wasn't/isn't the best mother and he was trying to get custody. This guy spent loads of money and didn't get anything but a headache.
    Of course you would give everything you have for your children, but I think the best is to get in good with the mother and go from there. Works great for me. I get my kids whenever I or they want.
    Maybe get an attorney and atleast fight for more time if she doesn't budge.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast