Thread: started puting my boat together for summer and opened a can of worms

wickedfab
    so i pull the rear carpet and start mounting the rails on the stringers to get the bbc back in.. well on mine the stringers are 4 feet long but anyways it looked like the front of them were pulling up. i investigate more pull up more carpet pull the drivers seat. and the complete subfloor on the driverside is pulling away from the hull of the boat. OH BOY!
    so
    -should i pull out the subfloor run full stringers all the way up.......
    -leave the subfloor, clean and reglass it, and add stringers at the seam all the way up about 3" wider per side than the rear most stringers and attatch them somehow
    -re glass the floor in place and run new strringers inline with the rear most strings on top of the subfloor.
    im not afraid of the work just dont want it to be a hack job.
    doing all the work myself also
    i will get pics of the work ahead of me asap but heres one of the boat

Mr. Crusader 83
    I had stringer problems and I just reglassed them for now. Next winter im going to pull them out and build new stringers and a new floor.

Rondane
    so
    -should i pull out the subfloor run full stringers all the way up.......
    supposed useful post #2 by rondane......
    yes pull the floor and remove all rot and replace stringers if needed. Do it right the first time.

b's sanger
    I did my floor after finding rot. Wasnt that big a deal. Stringers will be a lengthier process.

Let me go into a little more detail than my post in the other thread. When you remove the floor (and you should), you'll find a rotted keel stringer surrounded by oil and water saturated expanding foam. The front edge of the stringers (more than likely the starboard side) is lifting, and has started to rot the stringer(s). It's unlikely you can just glass the lifted areas and have them bond properly under the ply. The strength of the floor is that it is bedded into the recess of the strakes. If it is lifted, the bond to the recess is gone.
    If you have the time, I'd re-do it and be done with it. Full stringers really won't buy you much over the way it's built now....you will probably have to re-do the seating if you change the floor, too.
    Just my .02

wickedfab
    heres a few pics of the broken joint

wickedfab
    a few of some of the new glass

wickedfab
    there wil be more glass added to the front of the 1/4 stringers and gussets added in between the stringers and subfloor. the opposite side of the floor will also be beefed up while we are at it.