Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tahiti floor question

wickedfab
    my tahiti has the rear 4-5 ft long stringers then the front is a subfloor type deal. looks like plywood just set on the hull. is that annalysis sp? correct? would i be able to rip up the subfloor and run two complete stringers? any pics you guys have would be great.
    tia
    ryan

Some Kind Of Monster
    So you want to know if you can remove the 1/4 stringers and add full stringers?

wickedfab
    yeah but the stupid subfloor is in the way...
    whats the construction of the subfloor?

Keel stringer under floor, boxed at the back at stringers. Quite strong if structurally sound. I doubt you're buying anything by going full stringer.

wickedfab
    do you think i should just reglass where the subfloor is pulling from the hull?? and reglass where the rear stringers are pulling them up and brace the
    somehow?
    damn i wish i had pics......

tahitijet
    i cut all mine out and went full stringer with a sub floor between the stringers in the area where the old subfloor was.

victorfb
    the subfloor design with the 1/4 stringers is actually very strong as long as it is all intacked. with the subfloor you will get more lateral support than going with full stringers only. as roostwear mentioned you may be better off repairing the original design how tahiti made it. just make sure all the wood isnt roten from the years.

71tahiti
    I am replacing my floor as well. I have a single center stringer that starts just in front of the engine. My floor was glassed to each side of the boat. I had water soaked wood in the floor. I am going to use nida-core as the floor, and re-glass it to the boat like original. I think my boats floor had been replaced before. Any other suggestions?

wickedfab
    well acually my buddy thats doing the glass just left a few min ago . i am going to leave the floor intact and clean and reglass teh crack. also strengthening the otherside while im at it. and putting a spreader in between the 1/4 stringers in front of the motor to tie them and the subfloor together. should be accomplished in teh next two weeks.

Jetaholic
    Honestly, I think it would be a great idea to just replace all of that wood, floor and stringers. The keel stringer should be fine...you can probably get away with just reglassing over that.
    Once the floor is in you may want to inject some floatation foam underneath it (that's what was done to mine).
    New wood = piece of mind & "like new" structural integrity
    Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast