Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP, BB Ford lifter question, Roller or flat?

There is more off a difference between the flat and the roller than you would think, cam profiles completely different. I do agree that 600 lb. springs are going waste the flat tappet though.
    not talking about the cam lopes here, talking about the need for oil supply to the lifters on a roller cam, more than a little aware of the cam lope profile diffs

600lbs of spring pressure isn't going to work with stock rockershafts and stands too. You said you have roller tipped rockers but are they mounted on tool steel shafts and have the end supports too? IMO you are wasting your time trying to run that much spring without the above parts. FE parts are not any more trouble getting parts for if you know where to look

dmontzsta
    FE parts are not any more trouble getting parts for if you know where to look
    +1 to that.

rrrr
    FE parts are not any more trouble getting parts for if you know where to look
    You forgot to mention it also takes a wagon of cash to buy the shit......

cfm
    Just wanted to know what the advantage was in a roller rockers and cam set up was.
    I guess we all missed this being blind sided buy the spring psi thing.
    Without knowing exactly what you are up to it's impossible to say. At some point, yes, a solid roller will make more power and typically let you rev higher than a solid flat tappet.
    Would really need to know your whole combo and the specs of each cam to let you know this one.

steelcomp
    600lbs of spring pressure isn't going to work with stock rockershafts and stands too.There's a huge 10-4!!

do you get the idea this guy wants to make the big HP numbers without paying the big HP $$$$. yeah I'll just slam this big azz roller in there with momuu killer springs and this thing will just rock. How many times I have (heard) seen that?

You forgot to mention it also takes a wagon of cash to buy the shit......
    I didn't forget....he didn't ask.

Oldschool427
    OK, I just want to get the Classic 427 FE Ford motor running, before my vacation, my 24' Campbell weighs nearly 5000 lbs, I coudn't make enough HP. Finding parts for a FE motor takes time and money. Comp Cam and most other Roller cams manufactors are special order only for FE cams, they take 3 to 4 weeks at best. CFM said I should call Barry at Survival Motorsports. Barry is the person who found the Cam to go with the springs I'm am using.
    The easy way would have been, Ford Motorsport Crate motor 550 HP $7000. I just like the classic mortor. I'm nearly at $9000 already. Its a simple question guys, what the advantage between roller over flat tappet.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yikes, 600lbs on a flat tappet is instant disaster!..
    YEOWCH!! I don't even wanna watch!.
    Dare I assume those are 600#/inch springs, and what is the closed height pressure on them?
    My hyd flat cam is matched to 400#/inch springs, and is I think pretty aggressive for a flat. I'm only running close to 350psi wide open valve.
    Now, it was always my understanding that you could successfully (not that it is anywhere near ideal) run a roller lifter on a flat-lifter cam, but of course NOT vice-versa.
    You still have to have the right springs tho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast