Thread: Steering problems

oldshallett
    My boat was pulled off the trailer to have a small leak fixed. It went into the shop with normal steering but it came out tight as hell. Since i am still kinda new to jets, i have no idea where to start. Can a steering cable get tighter if its moved around a little? Or is it just a fluke that my cable tightened up after i took it out of the shop? Can a cable go bad or does it need to be provoked? Any help is really appreciated.

TahitiTiger
    could get bound up, if for some reason they changed its routing.

Since you haven't been too specific about the work that was done or the brand/model of jet......It is possible that something got bent during the process of moving the boat off the trailer. It is also possible that something was re-assembled incorrectly.
    First thing to look at is the bolt that connects the steering cable to the pump. It must not be so tight that it impedes movement. Even if it looks OK, disconnect cable from pump. Now you can turn the pump nozzle side-to-side to see if it moves freely. Now turn the steering wheel from left-to-right to see how it feels. If either still feels too tight, then you need to investigate that item more carefully. If both feel OK, reconnect cable making sure not to overtighten the connection. How does it feel now? If it feels like it is back to normal, the connection was probably too tight.

oldshallett
    They did pull my tank to fix the small issue i was having, which happens to be where my steering cable is. Thanks for the advice oldsquirt, i will try that tomorrow

jbone
    I'd say they either pinched, kinked, or rerouted the cable causing the hard steering. Or, the bolt could just be too tight as mentioned.
    J

oldshallett
    Thats what i am hoping for....a pinch or kink wont ruin the cables integrity will it? I certainly don't want to lose steering when im out on the water.

Oldshallet check to see if they overtightened the steer tube nuts,there needs to be movement there(flex) for the steering to work corrtly or the steering shaft will "bind" inside the tube Tom