Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam question

jungledave
    I found a cam, new but an older part number for a 454. .519I, .520E lift, 285I 288E and 242/242 @.050 114degrees lobe center. Would this be a good cam to run with logs and an A impellor berkley? I was a little concerned about the lobe center. oh yea 10.5 to 1 motor with 049 heads. The motor will be going back and forth between a berkley and a 12 yj jacuzzi{and yea I really like how the jacuzzi pulls outa the hole} till I get a chrysler going.

TIMINATOR
    No. You want 108 to 110 lobe sep. and a newer grind will have faster ramp rates for more power. Logs want no bigger than 238 or 240 at .050 too, but a fast ramp rate is where its at. TIMINATOR

pw_Tony
    I found a cam, new but an older part number for a 454. .519I, .520E lift, 285I 288E and 242/242 @.050 114degrees lobe center. Would this be a good cam to run with logs and an A impellor berkley? I was a little concerned about the lobe center. oh yea 10.5 to 1 motor with 049 heads. The motor will be going back and forth between a berkley and a 12 yj jacuzzi{and yea I really like how the jacuzzi pulls outa the hole} till I get a chrysler going.
    OOoo why you going to put a chrysler in her? I love mopar and I was just curious

SmokinLowriderSS
    I sure don't like that duration, with logs or headers, as it's going to impact the torque & HP generation in the lower RPM range. For what you describe, I don't like durations over about 280*, and you could certainly use more lift, ballpark of .550" or more. I am running .565" lift, 280* duration, and working a Berk "A" (Aggressor "B") very hard, and I wish I had your CR. I don't know what the increased lobe separation angle would do, but if TIMM has a concern with it, I sure would take pause. TIMM is one of the engine builders on here and IMO, has a bit more than several clues (knows his stuff).
    Also as TIMM said, the ramp rates are of great value. My cam is a custom grind a local shop had done for me based on his decades of experience and the ramp rates are just about as aggressive as you can do to a Mk-IV Chevy Hydraulic. I think you'd like it very much.

jungledave
    No. You want 108 to 110 lobe sep. and a newer grind will have faster ramp rates for more power. Logs want no bigger than 238 or 240 at .050 too, but a fast ramp rate is where its at. TIMINATORWell thanks for the info, it was a crower and CHEAP. I want a rough idle but was also questioning the lobe seperation. Comp cams makes a .547 lift that sounds like it should work with the logs. I really want something that is borderline of working with with logs just in case I decide to run headers later. Thanks again for the input guys.

jungledave
    OOoo why you going to put a chrysler in her? I love mopar and I was just curiousCause I am a Chrysler man. I like the 440s 3.75 stroke and 6.76 rod for a 1.8 rod to stroke ratio. If you stroke them to 4 @ .030 you get a 475 inch motor with a 1.69 ratio.[I think a 454 is 1.53]. I don't like the low deck campact style chevy blocks. And after looking around some I don't see that 454 parts are much cheaper. Chryslers have a very wide tourque band and are very tough at high RPM. The distributor is on the right end of the motor and doesn't have to be alligned with the cam gear and oil pump at the same time when installing. Chrysler factory heads don't flow quite as good as chevy heads but indy and other brands of aftermarket heads are great. Well I could go on and on but I better quit. I have bought a bell housing and timing cover motor plate and have found some logs so next summer I should have a 440 together. I am not knocking chevys just have always liked MOPARS.

jungledave
    I sure don't like that duration, with logs or headers, as it's going to impact the torque & HP generation in the lower RPM range. For what you describe, I don't like durations over about 280*, and you could certainly use more lift, ballpark of .550" or more. I am running .565" lift, 280* duration, and working a Berk "A" (Aggressor "B") very hard, and I wish I had your CR. I don't know what the increased lobe separation angle would do, but if TIMM has a concern with it, I sure would take pause. TIMM is one of the engine builders on here and IMO, has a bit more than several clues (knows his stuff).
    Also as TIMM said, the ramp rates are of great value. My cam is a custom grind a local shop had done for me based on his decades of experience and the ramp rates are just about as aggressive as you can do to a Mk-IV Chevy Hydraulic. I think you'd like it very much.Are you running logs?

SmokinLowriderSS
    I was, from 1978 to 2003 with the stock cam, and from 2004 thru 2005 on the new build. I ran Lightning Headers thru the transom for all of 2006 and LOVE them. NO other changes and found 200 rpm, 50 hp on a Berk "A".

pw_Tony
    I don't like the lobe seperation much. If you want a lump idle you should go for a lower lobe separation. And isn't that the Factory L88 reproduction cam specs? We put a mopar in a buddy's boat of mine with the .509 244 at .050. It dynoed at 515hp and 535torque. When driving it it has tons of torque! Awesome powerpand. But from what I've read Chevy's like more lift and less duration than a dodge does. But I would tkae TIMM's advice.

EAZYKILLER2006
    well Er not the kind of cam...i thought you were referring to...my bad...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast