Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model Rockets

78Eliminator
    Anybody do model rockets when they were kids? I practically had an assembly line in my bedroom when I was a lad. I also remember having to get my mom to go with me to the store to buy the spray paint and model glue....I honestly had no idea why I needed a parent to buy that stuff, yet they would sell me the rockets that would easily blow my fingers off.
    Do they still make them? I thought it was a pretty cool hobby for a kid, and I learned a lot doing them at 8 years old.

shockwavebd
    We have a garage full of them but no place left in oc to fly them..We used to go to mile square but I think they built a 2nd golf course on the old site

78Eliminator
    We have a garage full of them but no place left in oc to fly them..We used to go to mile square but I think they built a 2nd golf course on the old site
    I used to drive out and do them in borrego.

maxwedge
    Oh yeah! Almost took my cousins head off one time with an estes engine that I neglected to attach to a rocket For some reason you can still buy them no problem at various model shops, which I only know because a friend of mine was thinking of getting his kids into them a while back. Don't know how many of those things I lost in trees as a kid. It's a small wonder we never started any major fires.

wsuwrhr
    Estes Model rockets (http://www.estesrockets.com/)
    Except for the rockets I lost or were DOA upon arrival to the ground. I have all the rockets I had as a kid still. My neighbor and I used to launch them at our school on the weekends.
    Awesome fun.
    Brian

Riomouse911
    I used to have a few Estes kits.. I recall launching an "Astro-mouse" on a journey in an Icarus rocket in 7th grade. The goal was a trip to the moon, but it crashed into a tree and a State funeral followed...
    The wife and I were out Rhino driving around on a dry lake bed between Lucerne Valley and Apple Valley a few months back, and a rocket club was having a big gathering out there. A few of the rockets we saw had trailer-sized launch pads and they were over 7 feet tall. THOSE were cool!

HocusPocus
    i still have a bunch of engines and rockets in my garage.. we use to launch them at el mirage.

78Eliminator
    easiest rockets to build were the alpha and the mosquito. i took on a couple dual stages and some tricky ones too. some of them i never flew because i knew that if i didn't catch them, the wings/stabalizers would be destroyed at impact. you learn real quick the right way to pack the chute! lol

HM
    My kids cubscout pack had a model rocket day about a month ago. We did on March Air Force base....was really cool as there was about 40 rockets. Even the little ones really move, but they got rid of chutes and now use streamers....works much better at not losing them due to wind.

YeLLowBoaT
    i remember doing that when I was a kid... I don't know which I had more fun with... letting them fly or building them. I've always loved working with my hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast