Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC eagle rods and crank

jungledave
    Anyone out there know if any of the eagle 454 stuff is any good? CNC motorsports sells a rotating kit; forged rods crank and pistons, KB pistons for about $1600. Has anyone used or bought or have any knollege of the quality of this stuff?

Machinist
    Eagle parts have tolerances all over the board, and are not heat treated properly. I can measure .001" taper across a journal, out of range journals, and have seen sets of rods that are out of round straight from the box. The cranks when balancing are super soft and cut like butter...that being said there are plenty of people out there using them in 700hp+ applications, just not something I will do.
    If you need a cheap rotating assy, Probe industries is the cheapest I would go, I have had pretty good success with their parts being in spec out of the box.
    I am not sure what the retail cost would be for you, but it costs me $1550 for their Dominator series 4340 crank, 4340 rods, forged pistons/rings, and bearings as a complete kit from them. Your cost might be $400 more, but you are getting forged pistons and clevite "H" bearings for that extra.
    How much power are you looking to make?

GofastRacer
    I'm currently building a K motor using Eagle crank and rods, can't beat the price but they're far from ready to go, specs are out to lunch but even with the corrections it's still a good deal!.. But you also have to remember "you get what you pay for"...

RICHARD TILL
    i`ve had good luck with scat crank and rods.

Moneypitt
    Alot of the retailers of Eagle cranks turn the imported std/std cranks 10-10 to straighten them as well as bring the journals into spec. I can't really blame any failures on Eagle cranks we've used in the past, but it is hard to tell after a major problem wipes everything out........MP

WETTE VETTE
    I'm running an Eagle crank and rods in my NA 598 and so far 4 seasons with no issues and frequent 6500 RPM runs. I checked the bearigs after 3 seasons and everything looked great. I did buy the assembly from a reputable shop and they checked all of the machining and did the balance work. I have no complaints! If the machining is off it doesn't matter which assembly you are using. That being said be sure to double check everything during assembly!
    Craig

WannabeRacing
    I trust eagle rods with my life. I throw tons of power at them and tons of RPM. I have yet to have a failure of any kind. Had a transmission come apart and stuck the throttle on a spread port engine open. 11,000 rpm and the eagles were A-O.K.
    The cranks on the other hand are good pieces, but usually come on the high, or out of tolerance, and need to be cut to be on the low and straight. If you have a good crank guy that can cut it to the low for cheap, go for it. They are a good crank when you get them right.

jungledave
    Eagle parts have tolerances all over the board, and are not heat treated properly. I can measure .001" taper across a journal, out of range journals, and have seen sets of rods that are out of round straight from the box. The cranks when balancing are super soft and cut like butter...that being said there are plenty of people out there using them in 700hp+ applications, just not something I will do.
    If you need a cheap rotating assy, Probe industries is the cheapest I would go, I have had pretty good success with their parts being in spec out of the box.
    I am not sure what the retail cost would be for you, but it costs me $1550 for their Dominator series 4340 crank, 4340 rods, forged pistons/rings, and bearings as a complete kit from them. Your cost might be $400 more, but you are getting forged pistons and clevite "H" bearings for that extra.
    How much power are you looking to make?just around 450-0500 but I wanted to have a good base for later when I go with a better head. I will check into the probe parts do you know their web sight. What I was wanting to do was run a longer rod and that was the main reason for going after market. I have a good standard cast crank and heavy rods. Block will go .020. Since we are on the subject, what is your opinion on Hyper versus forged pistons in a jet boat?

SmokinLowriderSS
    I don't think I've seen anyone in here happily using hyper's in a boat, of any kind, but there may be some who just haven't spoken up on it.
    Personally, I'd go forged, period. If you try to do forged on a budget, I don't think you can beat Speed-Pro Powerforged. They are a good solid piston, and they will only break you arround $50 to $60 per hole, instead of $100 for somew pf the really nice ones.
    Unless you plan to double that 500HP ballpark, I'd run the SP's.

GofastRacer
    Yep what he said, forget the Hyperjunk go forged and the Speed-Pro's are the best bang for the buck!..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast