Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has there been...

Jbb
    An explanation why that Cali cop shot the MP who was unarmed....I saw part of a video of it on the news last night...but they gave no details.......and has anybody heard from Lowriver.......

Riverkid
    Heard the Feds are now involved. It will likely get ugly. The tape sure looked bad, but you never know what happened before they started filming. That SO sure was pissed off.

Moneypitt
    I heard an offical say something about the officer not being fit to carry a badge and a gun. I'm trying to reserve an opinion until ALL the facts come out. I figure the MP may have been reaching for his MP ID to put the SO at ease. Something sure as hell caused an unfortunate reaction. It could have been a lot worse, 4 shots at that range and he's still alive and expected to recover, thats the good part of a bad situation. ...........MP

MagicMtnDan
    The friggin' sheriff tells him to get up and then shoots him at least three times :220v: :220v: :220v:

Moneypitt
    Dan, that is when I feel the MP must have reached for something causing the SO reaction. Doesn't make it right by any means, but a possible explanation. Let me ask some of the LE here how far out of procedure is it to have a suspect get up in a situation like that!!! Seems like the SO should have just held the situation as it was until back up arrived. The tape doesn't show the MPs hands during the "get up" action.........Again, why have him get up? Thats not the way they do it on "Cops"............MP

Tremor Therapy
    That was exactly what I was thinking. He's down, you ordered him up, and then shot him! I have to admit, I've watched a zillion episodes of Cops, and thats the first time I've seen a video where they asked the suspect to get up prior to cuffing them!

Jbb
    All things being equal......I hope the "unfortunate reaction" of shooting an unarmed man,complying with his orders, gets that cop the exact punishment that he would expect someone to get...if they shot him...... but I bet it wont

Tom Brown
    This would be a whole different deal without video. The officer is going to have a hard time getting out from under this thing.

Saw the tape and it looks real bad, made me feel sick inside. I dont understand why the officer tells the MP to get up then unloads 3 rounds into him. If the officer would have followed procedure which would be to cuff the suspect while on the ground this would never have happened. Look out guys, looks like our tax money will be hard at work in the pockets of more laywers!!

Havasu Cig
    All things being equal......I hope the "unfortunate reaction" of shooting an unarmed man,complying with his orders, gets that cop the exact punishment that he would expect someone to get...if they shot him...... but I bet it wont
    On the contrary, if the shooting is deemed not to be justified he will be dealt with more severly than an average person in an accidental shooting case. They will make an example of him. That being said you need to wait for the investigation to completed to find out what happened.
    People never talk about the times the cops don't shoot when they would be justified in doing so. I had several times in my 11 years on the job that I would have been justified in shooting someone but did not. People do some real stupid $hit at times.
    I stopped two tweekers in a vehicle in the hood about 0300 and while I was standing next to the passenger door he opened the glove box and reached in where a pelet gun looking just like a Colt 1911 was sitting. Could I have shot? absolutely. I was able to get my weapon out before he touched the gun and was waiting for him to grab it. He is lucky I gave him the extra second to stop what he was doing. This is just one example. I was also involved in an officer involved shooting where the suspect tried to take my partners gun and now he is taking a dirt nap.
    It is a tough job where you have to make quick decisions that people will spend months or years second guessing you. That being said wait for the investigation to come out. If the cop screwed up he should be punished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast