Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Kilrtoy
    Boat was sitting for 6 months. Batteries were low, but started the boat. Ran the boat for about an hour then stopped. Kept the boat running at idle and turned the stereo up. The stereo started to cut out after about 2 minutes.
    Question?
    Does it hurt the batteries to pull them out and recharge them on the charger.

HBjet
    No....
    if your going to take them out, have them tested! Then you will know if one or more of them have gone bad.
    What kind of Batteries are you running?
    HBjet
    [ March 23, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Kilrtoy
    Nothing but the best for my boat,
    Ok, so I got them at Costco Kirklands jawdrop

RiverForUs
    Kilrtoy:
    Does it hurt the batteries to pull them out and recharge them on the charger. On the flip side--Does it hurt to charge dual batteries while they are still connected to the cables in the boat?
    I've always charged them this way on my outboard and never had any problems but this is my first I/O.
    Will I cause any damage if I charge them while they're still connected?

Kilrtoy
    Riverforus,
    Don't know the answe.
    I talked to Wil the other day and we have yet to hook up. Do tou still go to Laughlin.

RiverForUs:
    Kilrtoy:
    Does it hurt the batteries to pull them out and recharge them on the charger. On the flip side--Does it hurt to charge dual batteries while they are still connected to the cables in the boat?
    I've always charged them this way on my outboard and never had any problems but this is my first I/O.
    Will I cause any damage if I charge them while they're still connected?No it will not hurt them. Charge them at a slow rate preferably because it creates less heat and is easier on the batteries. Do not overcharge them though. Do not leave them for storage on a trickle charger (overcharges them). Get a battery tender or similar maintenence type charger for storage. Hope that helps.
    [ March 24, 2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

RiverForUs
    Thanks Mike!
    Kilrtoy, I just got back from Laughlin Friday night. Didn't go out in the boat though. We were interviewing builders since we purchased a lot up in Bullhead. If all goes as planned we'll take delivery next April or so. Could get it as soon as this Sept/Oct but I don't want that 2nd mortgage throughout the winter while I'm not using the river house.

Kilrtoy
    Sweet,
    We would like to get a house up there also, but that will be in a couple of years. Of course by then it will be way too expensive.......

BoatPI
    Just a thought on batteries. Having experiennced the heat, charging issues, etc. for two decades plus, I found the answer.
    Optima batteries are the best, period. I have had one for 7 years! Charge them continually with the "Battery Tender". For Lake Lice (I have 2), gel cell batteries ( like Jet Works in Costa Mesa) and charge often with the same charger.
    A battery shut off switch is needed to prevent trikle disipation. Remember to leave a wire to the float switch for the automatic bildge pump continually hot.
    Just my experiences.

RiverTime69
    I absolutely agree!!! Optima Blue Tops are the BEST, PERIOD. In fact, it's the D34M that you will want to look into. The issue is that each battery does cost nearly $150.00. It becomes a cost/benefit for you. If you take care of them, then they can last 5-7 years in that heat and they deliver the same power until drained, the power doesn't drop-off like other batteries. That can end up being a blessing when you need cranking power after 4-6 hours at the Sandbar and you're ready to leave. Otherwise, just buy new deep cycle marine batteries every 2 years for about $60-$70 each. Either way, you'll end up spending about $300.00 every 5 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast