Thread: Havasu Laws....Get Ready !!

PBOCOP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New laws to greet spring revelers
    BY MICHAEL HAYS
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 10:07 PM MST
    Those heading to Lake Havasu this weekend for boating and fun in the sun may not be aware of some new laws now in place.
    To avoid undesired tickets and possible jail time, college students and tourists should become acquainted with three relatively new local laws relating to the lake and Bridgewater Channel.
    The most controversial has become known as the behavior ordinance, and was vigorously opposed by the boating community and various business interests last summer.
    Offensive Conduct in Public Places took effect last August and applies to all public places, not just the Channel and Lake Havasu. It gives officers greater flexibility by placing indecent exposure, public intoxication, violent acts and abusive or obscene language into a single city ordinance.
    There is duplication. Only public intoxication did not already exist in state statute when City Council unanimously approved the behavior ordinance on July 11.
    Intoxication is defined in Arizona as “any mental or physical incapacity resulting from use of drugs, toxic vapors or intoxicating liquors.” Violators are punishable with fines up to $2,500 and/or a prison sentence of up to six months.
    Since its enforcement began, the largest fine levied among the 10 people cited and arrested has been $700, according to police.
    Larry Reese, president of the Lake Havasu Marine Association, said the worst is over.
    “When it was being talked about, there was a lot of misunderstanding. Since implementation, the Marine Association feels there will be no further damage,” Reese said.
    He believes the Police Department is doing a good job of warning people before issuing tickets.
    During Labor Day weekend, the last major tourist holiday, there weren't any arrests made under the new law.
    A second law of note deals with mooring.
    Unless a watercraft is moored to a designated tie down, boaters aren't allowed to moor, park, anchor or leave their watercraft standing within 25-feet of the Channel's east side.
    Reese said that although the restriction is undesirable, it would have no long-term negative impact.
    “Boaters, when they understand, are easily adaptable and just want to have a good time,” he said.
    The Channel's east side has a concrete “sea wall” where watercraft can tie down. Posts are spaced 15 feet apart. A similar structure is being built on the Island side and should be completed by May, Reese said.
    A third relatively new ordinance contains several parts:
    � No one may operate a boat in the Channel while a person is riding on the gunwales, transom or deck over the bow. There are exceptions for boats designed for carrying people at all speeds, or if the watercraft is preparing to anchor or moor.
    � Persons cannot block the view of a watercraft operator.
    � Except in an emergency, children younger than 12 may not operate a watercraft of more than eight horsepower in the Channel, unless accompanied by an adult.
    Council OK'd rules on mooring and riding last September.
    City Spokesman Charlie Cassens said there are no plans for educating spring breakers or other tourists before Memorial Day.
    He said Lake Havasu City received a reputation as a spring-break town “not because of offensive behavior. Spring break is actually a pretty controlled event. The crowd is very well-behaved.”
    If holiday crowds acted like the spring-break vacationers did, there would have been no need for the new rules, he said.
    Gears of motion began turning on the controversial behavior ordinance last Memorial Day weekend. During a May 30 meeting, testimony given by Police Chief Dan Doyle convinced council members that the officer's job would be easier if the groups causing problems could be forced to leave the water.
    Just who determines what is obscene, indecent or offensive?
    The “reasonable-person” standard is commonly applied by judges and law enforcement to determine whether an action is offensive. Local officers are relying on this standard.
    You may contact the reporter at hays@havasunews.com.

Just who determines what is obscene, indecent or offensive?
    Do we have to put a ? at the end a 10 year old kid can tell
    its really not a rocket scientist.

Boatcop
    Same laws were in effect toward the end of last summer.
    No one really noticed much difference, except there was less trouble, and less need for LE involvement.

707dog
    thanx for posting this info we are coming down in may and its cool to know some of the rules in someone elses playground..thanx again....

phebus
    Kudos to the Lake Havasu Police Dept, and the other L.E. agencies on the lake. I have been on the water a lot lately, and observed the actions of L.E. and I have to compliment them on the job they are doing. Any and all action I have seen has been prudent, and appropriate.

Jbb
    Kudos to the Lake Havasu Police Dept, and the other L.E. agencies on the lake. I have been on the water a lot lately, and observed the actions of L.E. and I have to compliment them on the job they are doing. Any and all action I have seen has been prudent, and appropriate.

Maybe you are free to stop by on Tuesday, and wax they're boats for them?.......lmao....

Music to my Ears
    They've got their hands full just keeping you in line.

shueman
    Good to hear...

Riveratz
    I was out in the channel on Saturday and was pleased to see that they were doing a good job letting the harmless fun take place. Although there were a couple of kids that decided to swim across the channel right in front of me. The new sea wall had a lot of boats really bunched together.