Thread: new 8-71 blower motor(water injection?)

rat tuned
    hi guys,
    i happened in here looking for blower setup info and you guys seem to have it all together. please note that this is not going in a boat but my 1969 chevelle ss 396. i hope that you don't mind me asking some blower questions as my knowledge is limited and i'd appreciate anyone's experience.
    my current setup is a .030 454 with 4 bolt main, steel crank, dimple rods and keith black hyper pistons. my final compression is about 9.8-10-1 with my 118 cc 781 oval port heads. they are fitted with 2.19-1.88 valves and have had the bowls reworked. the camshaft is a comp cams extreme energy 274H that specs at .553in-560ex lift. advertised dur is 274-286. dur@.050 is 230-236. ignition is mallory unilite and msd 6-al. with a turbo 400 trans and tight 10" converter with a 12 bolt and 3.73 gears it goes pretty good.
    i just purchased a new BDS stage 1 blower on a weiand square port intake. it has a 50 top and 46 bottom pulley that accordinging to the BDS website should underdrive about 8% while generating about 7#'s of boost. i also have 2 750 dp carbs that have been modified with proform main bodies. they also have had the throttle plates drilled and 4 corner idle. i figured that the final compression blown to be about 14.7-15.1 which i know is too high for pump gas. right now i don't have the $ to install the right pistons, rings and blower cam. i REALLY would like to install the blower. i only drive about 1500 miles a season. mostly aggressively on the street. should i
    1. wait until next year and go thru the motor next winter.
    2. install a steel balancer with 1 key and just use aviation fuel or race gas(what octane)
    3. install a water injection system. i read the thread and it seems as if this
    might work. what system has anyone used on a roots blower with dual
    carbs? i would think that being on the water puts more strain on the
    engine than a street car driven at a lower rpm except for short bursts.
    are the old edelbrock kits any good? what would be the most budget way
    to pull this off?
    competition products sells steel sfi balancers for $99 and i thought this might be a good investment. also would a carter nascar 172 gph pump feed the motor? i have a sumped tank that i plan on installing. what should my minimum fuel line diameter be?
    i'm sorry about the length of this post but wanted to give as much info as possible. sincerely mike gridley

DMOORE
    Just a few things to remwmber. Hyper pistons are not ideal for blower use. Most people prefer a forged piston. I for one have never used hyper pistons so I really do not know what they are capable of. Next, 9.8-10/1 plus 7# of boost is a lot of compression unless you run av gas or methanol. The third thing is that blowers don't really like a lot of overlap. You end up loosing cylinder pressure and fuel out the exhaust. Might be worth waiting until you have the right pistons and cam before bolting on the huffer. Better to do it right the first time.
    Darrell.

sanger rat
    Put a good set a pistons in that motor. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LUNATI-FORGE...Z20924QQcmdZVi ewItem

rat tuned
    thanx guys, i agree that i should make a lot of changes. bds said if i ran about 4#'s of boost and ran about 1/3 race gas it should work ok. mike

jdf
    dude don,t take a chance it will cost you alot later

Liberator TJ1984
    Yea, what they said , it will work OK with the Hyper pistons untill you mash the gas pedal
    QUOTE:i figured that the final compression blown to be about 14.7-15.1
    You better be using straight race fuel VP16 or better even at 4# boost , those hyperutetics ain't even gonna like your static ratio much less the blower

rat tuned
    thanx again guys!! i read the response from sanger rat on the water/meth thread
    I talked to one guy that was running 10-1cr with 15# boost using pump gas. He use one gallon of water/meth per 30 gallons of gas. The water cools the air and the meth increase the octane.
    and was hoping i might get lucky. mike