Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America's Baddest V-drives!

Dimarco Kid
    Anybody got some bad ass v-drives that want to start a "new topic"? Be pretty cool if we could get together and just shoot some v-drive bull!!!!
    Dimarco Kid

DetroitJim
    I'm running a 19 ft. Sanger flat with 25% gears and a Menkens 17 prop. I'm building a 540 tall deck Merlin II with Dart Pro 1 325cc heads and a 8-71 blower at 7% over. Closest guess to top speed wins a beer.
    Jim

Dimarco Kid
    I'm gonna say, 120 mph. Close? I definately know that your boat should "get with the program" or somethings wrong! Are you in Detroit?
    Dimarco Kid

superdave013
    Jim, I think that you will need more gear with that 540". When I was racing I ran a blown injected 461" with an 8-71 @ 30% over and an 11X16 prop. I tried a lot of gears and with 25's it had the best e.t. but turned 8,800 rpm at the lights and 9,000+ out of the hole.
    I have some 10 degree, 35% gears that might be a better place to start. I also have some 47's but you have to remove the water jackets in the v-drive to use them.

DetroitJim
    Hey guys.
    Yep, I'm Motor City all the way. There are some real well known names working on engines around here. Dart and Jomar are just up the road, Shirley Muldowney and Connie Kallita still live around here. I got my heads from former Pro Stock driver Wally Booth, he just calls Dick Maskin at Dart and picks em up.
    Dave, the bigger gears might be needed, sounds pretty scary though! I think a Chut jacket might be agood idea.
    Jim.

Dimarco Kid
    That's not motor city! It's called HEAVEN! I'd be broke living near all those outfits! I'm in Maine, got snow yesterday. Gone already though, my hydro looks pitifull in a snow covered garage. Summer HAS to come, it has no choice! Sounds like you got yourself one hot ride. Do you ever race?
    Dimarco Kid

superdave013
    DetroitJim,
    So what kind of heads are you running? What did this pro stock guy do to them?? I'm building a blown 573" and have a set of dart 360's that I'm using. I wore a chute jacket when I raced my flat. Even at the river. I also wore a pair of balistic shorts. Your a holes not water tight @ 130+.

FASTECH
    ** testing**
    [This message has been edited by FASTECH (edited June 14, 2001).]

ratman
    i have a 72 hondo flat bottom. my first engine was a 468 chev with a tunnel ram and 2 four barrles with 12% over drive and a 11 by 15 prop. the boat was quick, top speed of probably 85 mph. over the winter, i built a 572 merlin chevorlet with a 671 kuhl super charger, with 5 to 7 pounds of boost. casale v drive with 40% over drive and a 11 1/2 by 16 steel prop. can anybody guess the top speed? im not sure. and most of all what im not sure of is how the boat will handle at top speed. i tested the boat two times at Lake Elsinore, CA, the water was not very flat. I am going to the river in September and I will get it on some nice flat water then. V drives are bad ass!

ratman
    i have a 72 hondo flat bottom. my first engine was a 468 chev with a tunnel ram and 2 four barrles with 12% over drive and a 11 by 15 prop. the boat was quick, top speed of probably 85 mph. over the winter, i built a 572 merlin chevorlet with a 671 kuhl super charger, with 5 to 7 pounds of boost. casale v drive with 40% over drive and a 11 1/2 by 16 steel prop. can anybody guess the top speed? im not sure. and most of all what im not sure of is how the boat will handle at top speed. i tested the boat two times at Lake Elsinore, CA, the water was not very flat. I am going to the river in September and I will get it on some nice flat water then. V drives are bad ass!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast