Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bbc Heads?

pw_Tony
    Anyone know about chevy BBC peanut heads? My friends lookin for some info on the "peanut" heads. What are the best years of these heads? And what kind of flows do they make? Any and all information is appreciated, thanks

Those are late-model truck heads with the smallest ports GM ever had on BBC heads. Really not desirable for performance use. If you have the casting number off the heads you can get application info at Mortec.com (www.Mortec.com)

IMPATIENT 1
    Anyone know about chevy BBC peanut heads? My friends lookin for some info on the "peanut" heads. What are the best years of these heads? And what kind of flows do they make? Any and all information is appreciated, thanks
    i've got some 781 oval ports for sale.they are a ton better head than peanuts.pm me

pw_Tony
    Hmmm... any specifics? Like years they were on or flow numbers casting. Any information is good

MACHINEHEAD
    Dont know any production data. But they flow about 230 cfm @ .550 lift on a 4.25 bore and the exhaust flows are similar to a normal head. Run a single pattern cam. Convert them to adjustable valve train with kits available from various cam companies. And watch retainer to guide clearence. Can make about 425hp with proper stuff

G-Body
    Check out the category 1 heads under 220cc, both styles of peanut port are listed there. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ic_v8_engines/

RCB19
    The 781 casting is a great cylinder head with lots of potential for a mild 500 to 600 hp smaller cubic inch BBC. With the right combination of motor parts and some port and chamber work done to the heads with bigger valves you will end up with a stout little motor. These heads make awesome port velocity which a smaller cube production parts motor loves. The even smaller "peanut port" heads are not worth the effort. You just cant make any power at all with those.

victorfb
    just make sure your talking about the same generation BBCs. most of the "peanut nut" heads were on gen V or gen VI blocks. the 781 head is for mark 4 blocks. if you need a set of peanut port heads for a gen 5 or 6 block, let me know. i have set i will let go cheap. came off a gen V truck motor.

victorfb
    as for the 781 being a great head, i have mixed feelings. yes they have a smaller combustion chamber to gain a bit of power, but many also seem to have a bad core shift in the casting or ?. try match porting a 781 to a standard oval port edelbrock intake and you will see what i mean. it takes alot of careful grinding to get them close. you basically have to grind the head as far as possible and then grind the intake quite a bit to get them to match. not to mention that they have a slightly smaller intake runner compared to the 049 oval ports. my preferance is to install larger valves in the 049 and do some bowl work, then match port the heads to the intake. use either a slight dome piston, or mill the head (a little), or even use a thin head gasket to get the CR up to match the 781. the 781 is a good head, dont get me wrong, i just dont like the amount of work they need to make them a better performing head.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast