Thread: Piston ring indexing

Unchained
    When assembling an engine I have always indexed the piston rings like how they show it in the " How to hotrod big block chevys "
    book. However I talked to an engine builder and he stated that it doesn't make much difference how you set them because they move around as the engine runs. I disagreed with him but I really never looked after I took a piston out to see if the rings were the same as where I set them during assembly. Has anyone else checked the ring indexing after running the engine? What did you find?

twistedpair
    I do it the same way. I was under the impression that this was to reduce blowby and help the rings seat during break in, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I've never had any problems.

wsm9808
    That is true, the rings often move when you run the motor. I'm not sure if they continue to move the over the life of the engine or just while they are breaking in. I have checked on dozens of motors over the years during off season tear downs, and the rings are never in the same place they started out at.
    That is why they put the locating pins in the ring groove on some 2 strokes, so the rings dont end up with the gap over the intake/exhaust port and try to spring open and hang in the bore.
    As I understand it, it is good practic to stagger the rings at assembly as the manuals state, but once up to operating temp. the gaps (if set right) will close up due to heat expansion to near zero anyway and the phaseing of the gaps is not real critical.

mister460
    True dat folks! And penguins have little effect on the migration habits of the wildebeasts in Africa. Cause it's, like y'know, Africa.

eliminator777
    Indexing rings is very inportant in any motor especaly in a bln. motor.Because when you first up if you index incorrectly fuel can get between rings DENOATE. more damage is done 1ST. fire up to ring lans.but you don't know until it's 120 out side and you've got your foot in it.

spectra75
    WHAT?
    spectra75

bajaruner
    To make what could be a long story short, it is very important to index your rings, no they don't stay in the same spot, but ideally if they do move, they move somewhat together maintaining there original spacing, give or take a little. Should the ring end gaps line up on a new engine before the rings "seat" the gases blowing by would most likely keep the end gaps lined up.
    JUST MY TWO CENTS TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!