Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do i get more power?

jbh
    i just got a heck of a deal on a used boat. its a '94 20ft lazer with a 350 mag .. the boat runs good but i always want a little more. anyone know a way to squeeze a little more out the motor without spending a fortune? i already have ss prop and thru hull exhaust

lilrick
    not to be a pessimist(spelling), but that lil ol small block should be fed some Wheaties !! Hopefully it'll turn into a bigblock!!

ck7684
    Swap in some 1.6:1 Roller rockers and a performance aluminum intake and an capacitive discharge MSD box...just make sure that the pushrods dont hit the end of the slots that they fit thru to the lifters. Check for coil bind on yr valve springs also. This will have the same result and swapping in a slightly bigger camshaft without too much hassle or expense. Just make sure nothing binds. If this engine is stock, you probly shouldnt have to worry about the valves contacting the pistons with this switch, but it is something to consider...that's the easiest couple things I can think of without tearing too much apart or spending a bunch...

SmokinLowriderSS
    ck pretty much has the budget covered I think. Better manifold, fake a cam swap with higher ratio lifters, the ign is seccondary as it really shouldn't give you any more power unless the current ignition is really in bad shape. Anything else is going to involve a real cam change, head work, better exhaust manifolds, or enough steroids to turn it into a Big Block (and then new drive parts).

cfm
    RPM, RPM Air Gap, or Bowtie Cast Iron intakes will get you 15hp on stock motor. Past that it is done gaining power without changing the cam.
    The Thunderbolt ignition is more than capable and I would not spend money on anything ignition related other than tune up parts.
    Here are the stock cam specs:
    Stock flat tappet cam:
    .004 " 270, 284
    .006" 258, 270
    .050" 200, 212
    .400", .410" with 1.5
    110 LSA
    ===============
    Stock hydr roller
    .004" 258, 272
    .006" 249, 264
    .050" 197, 207
    .430", .450
    109 LSA

Ryan00TJ
    The guys have allready covered the budget mods. You could add a better cam but your stock heads will choke any possible gains. Heads and cam need to be done in conjunction. I agree that your wasting $$ by upgrading the TBIV at your power levels. Like new Performer RPMs are all over Ebay for $50 BTW. I would save $$ until you can upgrade the heads, carb, cam, & exhaust. I mean you could add a RPM, 1.6 rockers but your gains will be very small. Most likely not 2 mph for the $$ spent. Flat tappet cams and tappets can be had for $90, add a set of Vortec heads and a much stronger gain will be returned.
    Budget mods are going to equal budget speed. If your wanting to go fast your gonna need better heads and cam.

jkh04200
    JBH,
    Give some details.
    Current MPH's, hopefully by a GPS
    RPMS at WOT
    Diameter of prop and pitch.
    Ratio of drive?
    That will give a better idea of what you can possibly gain.

jkh04200
    Dont go the RPM Air Gap intake, you'll regret it. If your gonna change, stick with the perfomer of the performer air gap. THe Air gap wont work on mine because of the mechanical choke.

TIMINATOR
    We took a 24 Eliminator Daytona with a 260 hp 350 that ran 43 mph, (the seller kept the good motor and drive). We put thru hull straight 4" pipes out the transom, added a Comp. 280 cam(230@.050), Performer rpm airgap, 625 AFB carb(too small),tru roller chain set, and went 60 mph. Added Holley 200 runner alum. heads, and changed prop again, now 68mph. Forget the 1.6 rockers, they usually bottom out the pushrods in the head slots and pick-up almost nothing. We have done a LOT of perf mods on small block Mercs and OMCs. We are doing a 377 mag buildup now, it will have forged pistons,hyd rlr, ported heads or aftermarket ones, and all of the zillion tricks we have learned thru the years. It may be for sale when finished if the tenative buyer backs out. Watch for the build up in ***boat, the magazine. TIMINATOR

cfm
    Dont go the RPM Air Gap intake, you'll regret it. If your gonna change, stick with the perfomer of the performer air gap. THe Air gap wont work on mine because of the mechanical choke.
    Good point: mech choke not being able to be used
    However, who needs a choke on a boat ? Defeat the choke - usually done by using wire to keep flap open if Quadrajet.
    With tuning - props, Cast Iron Bowtie Intake, blocking off heat risers with Felpro 1204 intake gasket, carb tuning, a few more degrees of timing, I've brought my little 20'ft 2800lb boat from 52+GPS to 59+GPS. Stock , never been opened, well beat , millions of hrs 1991 350 MAG.
    I've done same to similar size/weight boats and gotten same type of results.
    The factory heads aren't that great, but the cam is killing it. The factory heads will be fine to 300hp or so. The intake needs to go bye,bye also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast