Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower questions, questions, questions

1968Droptop
    First I'd like to say thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer. I'm sure you see all too many of these kind of posts; newby looking for info.
    I'm looking to put a blower on my engine. It's a freshly built 521 w/ 100cc Blue Thunder heads, and I want it to run on 92 octane. The internals are up to the task. From what I've read on the net an 8-71 may be my best bet. I also plan on using nitrous as well. It's going to be installed in my 21' Daytona.
    What would be ideal compression ratio (8-9:1) ?
    I'm looking for how much boost with that compression ? Guessing 6-8 ?
    I see different snout lengths, what size will work on my BBF ?
    Is there a huge difference in teflon coated rotors ?
    What about finding a used one, so I want to try ? If so, what trouble areas would I look at ?
    I'd prefer to find a used one to save some cash, what are the chances of finding a manifold and blower for a 460, needle in a hay stack or not bad ?
    What should I expect to pay for a used one ?
    Thanks guys !!!

You gonna run one 4 bbl Droppy?
    Good to see you're thinking about coming over to the darkside.....

malcolm
    Oh sh!t, here we go again! Will the last naturally asperated boat in Washington please..... Oh wait a minute, that'll be me!

pw_Tony
    Good luck trying to find BBF blower parts, tried it it doesn't work. Called a ton of shops and went to swap meets couldn't find crap. But I did get a brand new intake a swap meet where a blower dealer was selling, got my manifold for $550. But using used blowers is risky and sometimes you have to rebuild them.
    In all honesty with a BBF it almost is the same price to buy a whole kit than it is to build a used one.
    A snout I believe you need over a 7"in snout. which are the most expensive. And everyone has told me dual carbs is the way to go, not single. On a boat where you're constantly running over 3500 rpm they get hot and need the dual carb to cool the rotors. Some people say not to run the teflon strips on a boat, and some say it doesn't matter.
    I haven't ran one yet but I've dealt with people that have. All I know is the cost of trying to find used stuff. All I need now is a drive kit which is about $1200. Goodluck but I would really go with a brand new kit, wish I didn't try doing the "budget" way.

79centurion
    Just twin turbo it and nitrous Find a gale banks kit for it. They hold up for a long time, and even if the turbos need rebuilt, its not that bad.
    Dan

shirkey4750
    There was a Ford BB blower on e-bay, may still be there. Here you go.
    BBF Blower Supercharger Intake Manifold, 871, 671, 460 Item number: 140098000934

DetroitJim
    If you want it to run season after season without maintenance, forget teflon and get a blower set up for gas. An 8-71 is barely big enough for a 521 inch motor, you will do much better with a 10-71 or bigger. An 8-71 will make 6 or 8 lbs. boost at 1 to 1, if you spin it faster you will get a higher boost reading but most of the pressure will actuallly be heat. Read up on this, it is very important to understand that power comes from increased air density, not a number on a boost gauge.

Schiada76
    How about a complete 460 with Moonyham blower all polished, Holly carbs for $4,500.00
    The blower setup alone is worth that.

atxwrangler
    i paid 3500 bucks for a 1/2 season old don hampton setup with holley 750's and blue thunder intake.it has the shortest snout possible for a ford.they don't come along very often though!:idea:

atxwrangler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast