Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 496 HO upgrades

Magic34
    A boating question, can you believe it?
    I am trying to get a new boat and it has 496HOs for motors. What SAFE bolt on mods are there that wont give me any hassles to add some HP. No Raylar for me.
    I'm trying to get from 56 MPH to 60 MPH with twin 496s.

don johnson
    A boating question, can you believe it?
    I am trying to get a new boat and it has 496HOs for motors. What SAFE bolt on mods are there that wont give me any hassles to add some HP. No Raylar for me.
    I'm trying to get from 56 MPH to 60 MPH with twin 496s.
    Remove the turbolators. Depending on hull limitations that should get you about 2-3 MPH and it is free! Otherwise a complete exhaust system that will definately get you to 60 MPH.
    Did this on a friends boat and he picked up a soild 3-4 MPH.

phebus
    The cheapest route to gain a little would be to take out the turbulators, and fine tune your prop selection. I would think that would get you a few mph.
    Expensive route would be the Dana exhaust or CMI, again with proper prop selection.
    Neither involve opening up your engines.

Magic34
    Remove the turbolators. Depending on hull limitations that should get you about 2-3 MPH and it is free! Otherwise a complete exhaust system that will definately get you to 60 MPH.
    Did this on a friends boat and he picked up a soild 3-4 MPH.
    What are turbolators?
    Who makes a good exhaust system?

Magic34
    The cheapest route to gain a little would be to take out the turbulators, and fine tune your prop selection. I would think that would get you a few mph.
    Expensive route would be the Dana exhaust or CMI, again with proper prop selection.
    Neither involve opening up your engines.
    Prop selection... I have no idea how these work!
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...la_003-med.jpg

phebus
    Turbulators are plates located at the exhaust risers that are designed to prevent condensation from running down and effecting the exhaust valves from corrosion. The problem is that they really restrict your exhaust flow, and aren't necessary on most applications. Removing them really improves flow. Do a search on OSO, and you will find some posts from Raylar about them. They also have dyno results from before and after, as well as guideliines on who can, and who shouldn't remove them.
    The removal on both sides takes less then 30 minutes, and requires no parts.

don johnson
    What are turbolators?
    Who makes a good exhaust system?
    They are a sheet metal reducer that is sandwiched between the manifold and the elbow. They can be removed in about 30 minutes per motor. They are designed to stop water reversion/ condensation from entering the engine. If your exhaust manifolds are "higher" then the exhaust tips you should not have any reversion problems.
    CMI makes the "Best" exhaust sytem. i understand that Dana has introduced a system that works very well also.

Cole Trickle
    Leave it alone!!!!
    Freaking guy wants to go 70mph in a 45' cruiser while watching Dora on the 2 50' plasmas.:devil:
    What kind of upgrades are you gonna do to the stereo? I want to feel the dinosaurs from my floatie 50' away while we watch jurassic park on the patio big screen.

RiverToysJas
    Add a K&N!

phebus
    Add a K&N!
    I have a K&N on mine, and it added nothing to speed, but it didn't hurt, and provides filtering. I think they are a great upgrade.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast