Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took a Compression Test>>>

HammerDown
    All but 1 cylinder at 180 psi. #6 was 177, Not to bad...huh smile_sp

kojac
    I checked mine last weekend and they all were 95lbs. Checked my brothers and they all were 240lbs One was 220 on the first try and on the recheck it measured 240. Think I'll go whole hog and do a complete leakdown just so there are no suprises next season.
    kojac

Hotcrusader76
    Just a quick question, are you guys warming these motors up before doing a compression check?

BrendellaJet
    sort of on topic here...When installing a cam, I heard that the motor will make peak power when you advance/retard the cam until the cylinders make peak pressure. Any truth to this?

HammerDown
    Hotcrusader76:
    Just a quick question, are you guys warming these motors up before doing a compression check? you bet...with the carb wide open!

HammerDown
    BrendellaJet:
    sort of on topic here...When installing a cam, I heard that the motor will make peak power when you advance/retard the cam until the cylinders make peak pressure. Any truth to this? You'll get more head pressure when advancing the cam a few degrees...that usually brings in the power band earlier but may not add to the upper rpm area.
    [ October 09, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Unchained
    I'm only running 8:1 compression and a healthy cam so my cranking compression is low, ranges from 118 to 121.
    Clown dyno tuned his own pump gas 540 engine and told me he got maximum power retarding the cam 4 degrees from split overlap. Made 735 HP N.A.

Infomaniac
    You can change valve lash also to get the most cranking pressure.

Clown
    Originally posted by Unchained
    I'm only running 8:1 compression and a healthy cam so my cranking compression is low, ranges from 118 to 121.
    Clown dyno tuned his own pump gas 540 engine and told me he got maximum power retarding the cam 4 degrees from split overlap. Made 735 HP N.A.
    the #s Where 765HP With a signle Dominator And an out of the Box Dart Intake , And we got about another35-45HP Just By retarding the cam that 4deg, Of course at a 1Deg at a time. The over all Power band was alot broauder With the cam in at 4deg retard.
    I have been buillding a friend with a 55 chevy a 434cui Chevy Small block
    And talked to a couple of friends at the shop who have at one time worked for crane cams.
    And they where telling me that there cams are built with 2Deg of adv?
    in them from the get go. Because everyone allways orders a cam to big for there application.
    I'm not quit sure if I heard them correctley!!
    So I am going to talk to them again tomorrow, Just to make sure I'm not jerking nobodys Chain.:yuk:

Infomaniac
    Most out of the box cams are ground 4 degrees or so advanced for that specific reason.
    I have them ground straight up with no advance. I can put it in wherever I choose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast