1995 Kachina 22Â’
    MPD prepped A1.5 dominator pump
    BBC Gen V 4 bolt stock bottom
    Edelbrock dual quads with Edelbrock manifold
    Rectangle port heads
    Lightning headers.
    Comp cams extreme marine cam 11-232-3 lift .505 .515 dur 262 268
    According to desktop dyno 414hp at 5000 tq 502 at 3500
    Im getting 54 MPH at 4600rpm. 402 HP according to JPC (pretty close)
    Option 1: I already own a Nitrous works dual quad plate system. I also have an offenhauser dual quad manifold. On The Edelbrock manifold the carbs are too close together to put on the NOS plates so I would have to change the manifold. 125hp shot is the minimum for the kit. This cost me less as I already own all of the parts.
    Option 2: Sell the Nitro, sell the manifold and put in a different cam. I kind of like the comp cams extreme marine hyd roller 11-451-8 lift .547 .547 dur 284 290 (but im open to suggestions).This would put my hp at 521 @ 5500 tq 537 @ 4500 according to desk top dyno The kit and extras to do it right would $1000+ and Im supposed to be conservative with my money right now. But Â…..I am a jet boater.
    I donÂ’t think it would be a good idea to do both on a stock lower half. Would be fun ..wile it lasted. :cry:
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Matthew

SmokinLowriderSS
    That engine is fairly young, and the stock bottom of a BBC is pretty darned strong. Weakest spot IMO is the knurled 3/8" rod bolts.
    Put the nitrous on it. Then, next year, rebuild it, replace the rod bolts with ARP,s, stud the mains & heads with ARP's, and cam it. The 414 HP Chevy ought to survive the occasional trip to 540 on it's bottom end IMO with no issues this coming year.
    If the current rod bolts are bigger than 3/8"ers, I wouldn't even replace them. If they are 7/16", those are solid, damn solid.

kachina_labala
    Thanks for the reply. Ive done a mock up of the nitro in the boat and it looks good. I even have a great place to hide the bottle. Funny button here I come.
    Matthew

kachina_labala
    Im now looking for a nitrous activation switch. I thought I at one time saw one in the end of a fwd/reverse clamshell control handle. Any other cool ideas/ links to switches for sale.

Option 1: I already own a Nitrous works dual quad plate system. I also have an offenhauser dual quad manifold. On The Edelbrock manifold the carbs are too close together to put on the NOS plates so I would have to change the manifold.
    Matthew
    Have you considered mounting the nitrous plates sideways? I had to do it with mine for clearance sake and they work fine that way.
    Mine are setup so that the spraybars go side to side instead of front to back. I've sprayed a bunch of nitrous on this setup and haven't had any problems with it.
    Edelbrock's tech support cautioned me that they hadn't tried one that way and they couldn't tell me whether or not it would work. I figured that since it was spraying into a bigass'd plenum before getting drawn into the carbs.........what possible difference it could make. In addition, if you remove the plenum section and look into the runners, they're so symetrical that it doesn't appear there would be any difference even without the plenum (front to back vs. side to side).
    Apparently it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, since it's worked fine this way for two seasons and lots of bottles.
    Just trying to offer some options.
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/tunnelplumb.jpg

kachina_labala
    did you have to modify the plates? I didnt think that the mounting holes were a true square pattern? even with the new manifold I would have to stagger the plates with carb spacers to get the hoses to clear. Im not sure what the manufatrurer was thinking when they made this kit. Im concerned about the 2" difference in the height if the plates from the intake causing the nitro to get to 1/2 the cylinders first. I wll either have to get some elbows that go right at the plate or try and mount them sideways. Here is the new manifold and carbs on the top. notice the blue hose fittings are staggered.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/show...4896Nitro1.jpg

IMPATIENT 1
    Have you considered mounting the nitrous plates sideways? I had to do it with mine for clearance sake and they work fine that way.
    Mine are setup so that the spraybars go side to side instead of front to back. I've sprayed a bunch of nitrous on this setup and haven't had any problems with it.
    Edelbrock's tech support cautioned me that they hadn't tried one that way and they couldn't tell me whether or not it would work. I figured that since it was spraying into a bigass'd plenum before getting drawn into the carbs.........what possible difference it could make. In addition, if you remove the plenum section and look into the runners, they're so symetrical that it doesn't appear there would be any difference even without the plenum (front to back vs. side to side).
    Apparently it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, since it's worked fine this way for two seasons and lots of bottles.
    Just trying to offer some options.
    http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/tunnelplumb.jpg
    that's a sick set-up squircha, how much hp are you runnin on the nitrous alone.

kachina_labala
    Squirtcha,
    I noticed that your carbs sit sideways and mine are inline. After a little research Ive been told my nitrous setup is for a tunnelram set up like yours where the carbs sit sideways.Thus the spray tubes would be exactally the way you have yours installed. I was told that I need to get different plates. Damn! :cry: I am having a hard time even finding plates that have the ports on the side like I need and they are $$. Any ideas anyone?
    Help
    Matthew

did you have to modify the plates? I didnt
    think that the mounting holes were a true square pattern? even with
    the new manifold I would have to stagger the plates with carb spacers
    to get the hoses to clear. Im not sure what the manufatrurer was
    thinking when they made this kit. Im concerned about the 2" difference
    in the height if the plates from the intake causing the nitro to get to
    1/2 the cylinders first. I wll either have to get some elbows that go
    right at the plate or try and mount them sideways. Here is the new
    manifold and carbs on the top. notice the blue hose fittings are staggered.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/show...sort=1&thecat=[/IMhttp://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4896Nitro1.jpg
    Did not have to modify the plates.
    I'm thinking the holes are square and the plates will fit on
    either way.
    I am running 1" spacers so every thing will clear.
    I checked mine by mocking it up every whichway before installing
    the thing, and if I remember right it would've worked with the
    nitrous plates sideways, even if my carbs were installed inline.
    My kit was originally a single plate system good for 100 hp max.
    I purchased and installed a second plate and jetted each one for
    50 hp. Still a 100 hp kit the way I'm running it now.
    I could take it up to 200 since each plate will pass up to 100 hp
    each, but I'd have to get bigger solenoids and then start messing
    with ignition boxes (which I hate by the way), retard boxes etc.
    It's just a little 100 hp bump good for about 6-7 mph and 400 rpm.
    Changes my boat from upper 70s to mid 80s.
    Squirtcha,
    I noticed that your carbs sit sideways and mine are inline. After a little research Ive been told my nitrous setup is for a tunnelram set up like yours where the carbs sit sideways.Thus the spray tubes would be exactally the way you have yours installed. I was told that I need to get different plates. Damn! :cry: I am having a hard time even finding plates that have the ports on the side like I need and they are $$. Any ideas anyone?
    Help
    Matthew
    That doesn't sound right to me. I'm thinking the plates you have
    would work o.k. turned sideways even with the carbs mounted
    inline. Remember I said the nitrous techs at Edelbrock said mine
    wouldn't work either? It's difficult to say without being able to see
    it, but it doesn't seem like it would make all that much difference.
    I do have a little more room for error due to the big plenum on my
    tunnelram as opposed to your quad four intake (basically without
    a plenum). In my mind (feeble little mind) its seems that as long as
    the spray bars are positioned in such a way to spray evenly into all
    eight runners of the intake, you should be good to go.
    The other thing you could do is mount your carbs sideways like mine.
    I only paid $100 for my linkage setup from Good Vibrations (http://www.goodvibesracing.com/Linkage%20Kits.htm).
    I home fabbed everything else to make the change.

jamessampica
    If my eyes aren't lying to me those are not holley carb's so that might be the difference Dan. I might be way off track here since i'm a blower man.But those are not HOLLEY carb's like your's SQUIRTCHA.Will this make a difference's?Just my .02 cent's!!!
    Oh yes i have to ask you SQUIRTCHA. Is your boat fixed yet?
    Well i've got to get back working on my HOT ROD!!!!!!!!!LATER!!!!!!
    JIM S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast