Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RiverDave, pick up the white courtesy phone... RiverDave...

Tom Brown
    I've been working pretty hard lately. Long hours. Impossible deadlines. You know how it goes.
    Sunday afternoon arrives and I find myself not at work. Weird. Anyway, I had been planning to go to the lake, do some walking, and relax. It's beautiful out there in the winter. There aren't many people there in the winter. By the way, yes... it's still winter here. There are only about a half dozen houses that are lived in all year. The rest are summer only.
    Anyway, I'm heading toward a hill with the intention of hiking up to take some pictures. I'm carrying some photography equipment. One of the items I was carrying was a pretty meaty Manfrotto tripod with a heavy cast aluminum head (Manfrotto 190CL and 222 head, for those in the know) and a sling bag.
    One of the houses that is lived in all year is right by the highway. It's your basic dump. The house looks OK but the yard is a dump with garbage all over and a big fence of assorted shit propped up to keep the dogs in. Much of the fence is unpainted, weather browned OSB.
    This house by the highway happens to be the home of a bunch of dogs. These dogs are a little crazy and real stupid. They aren't there in the summer. Maybe they're new. Anyway, from two blocks before the house, I can hear the dogs barking like idiots. The frenzy got so fever pitched as I got close that I could hear these stupid dogs pounding the fence. It was really loud, like players hitting the boards in a hockey game. They must be some pretty sturdy dogs. I was a block past when the owner opened the rickety screen door to yell at the dogs to shut up. The dogs, of course, ignored the screaming and just chimed in with their audible support.
    That's when a big black dog came after me. I don't think this dog was from Sanford & Son's rabid dog emporium, I think it was just a lose dog that was a mean piece of shit. The dog tore my leg pretty good before I could golf a direct blow onto it's skull with the head of my tripod. It was a sturdy dog. It sounded like I hit a tree stump. The dog pulled back a little and I hit him again but the second time I just barely tagged him. He scurried away.
    It was a load of laughs.
    I don't have a clue who the dog belongs to or where he came from. There wasn't a lot of time to talk to him and look for tags, you know, but if I was able to track down the owner, what do you suppose the odds are that the owner would tell me to go **** myself, that his sweet dog wouldn't hurt a fly, and then carve into my good leg with a chain saw? I'd say those odds are pretty good.
    You know Dave, I don't wish you, or anyone, to be attacked by a dog but I think dog owners should be aware that their sweet, lovable animals turn into vicious little pricks when the owners aren't around and when they're either scared or protecting their territory.
    This isn't about pit bulls or any specific breed. It's about people controlling their dogs. I have to say, if I would have had access to a gun at the cottage I would have gone back, tried to find the dog, and harvested it.

I've been working pretty hard lately. Long hours. Impossible deadlines. You know how it goes.
    Sunday afternoon arrives and I find myself not at work. Weird. Anyway, I had been planning to go to the lake, do some walking, and relax. It's beautiful out there in the winter. There aren't many people there in the winter. By the way, yes... it's still winter here. There are only about a half dozen houses that are lived in all year. The rest are summer only.
    Anyway, I'm heading toward a hill with the intention of hiking up to take some pictures. I'm carrying some photography equipment. One of the items I was carrying was a pretty meaty Manfrotto tripod with a heavy cast aluminum head (Manfrotto 190CL and 222 head, for those in the know) and a sling bag.
    One of the houses that is lived in all year is right by the highway. It's your basic dump. The house looks OK but the yard is a dump with garbage all over and a big fence of assorted shit propped up to keep the dogs in. Much of the fence is unpainted, weather browned OSB.
    This house by the highway happens to be the home of a bunch of dogs. These dogs are a little crazy and real stupid. They aren't there in the summer. Maybe they're new. Anyway, from two blocks before the house, I can hear the dogs barking like idiots. The frenzy got so fever pitched as I got close that I could hear these stupid dogs pounding the fence. It was really loud, like players hitting the boards in a hockey game. They must be some pretty sturdy dogs. I was a block past when the owner opened the rickety screen door to yell at the dogs to shut up. The dogs, of course, ignored the screaming and just chimed in with their audible support.
    That's when a big black dog came after me. I don't think this dog was from Sanford & Son's rabid dog emporium, I think it was just a lose dog that was a mean piece of shit. The dog tore my leg pretty good before I could golf a direct blow onto it's skull with the head of my tripod. It was a sturdy dog. It sounded like I hit a tree stump. The dog pulled back a little and I hit him again but the second time I just barely tagged him. He scurried away.
    It was a load of laughs.
    I don't have a clue who the dog belongs to or where he came from. There wasn't a lot of time to talk to him and look for tags, you know, but if I was able to track down the owner, what do you suppose the odds are that the owner would tell me to go **** myself, that his sweet dog wouldn't hurt a fly, and then carve into my good leg with a chain saw? I'd say those odds are pretty good.
    You know Dave, I don't wish you, or anyone, to be attacked by a dog but I think dog owners should be aware that their sweet, lovable animals turn into vicious little pricks when the owners aren't around and when they're either scared or protecting their territory.
    This isn't about pit bulls or any specific breed. It's about people controlling their dogs. I have to say, if I would have had access to a gun at the cottage I would have gone back, tried to find the dog, and harvested it.
    Tom Brown is BAD ASS!!

Jbb
    I have to say, if I would have had access to a gun at the cottage I would have gone back, tried to find the dog, and harvested it.
    Pussy!.......If you had any street cred at all......you would have popped a cap in that motherfukkers head.....ghetto style.....

I'm just a little surprised he didn't snap a photo of the chowhound nawing on his leg like a tree devouring beaver prior to the tripod on the head.
    Tom sorry you had to endure this. Might I suggest you carry a can of pepper spray on your next photo shoot? Or perhaps a 44 mag?
    Did I shoot and miss 5 or 6 times? Do you feel lucky today Fido?
    I'm heading out to walk my dogs now. My baseball bat will be accompanying us as it always does. And I don't play baseball.

RiverDave
    Brown, I'm well aware that dogs attack.. I just think it sucks when someone singles out a breed and say they should be banned and outlawed becuase some bad owners have them.
    Sucks you got attacked. I've been attacked (as afore mentioned) by two black labs in my life. Neither experience was what I'd call a barrell of monkeys fun. I'm not calling for the banning of labs though. I think the typical knee jerk reaction is stupid just becuase the word "pit" comes up. That's all I've ever said.
    Sorry to hear you got bit. Do I dare ask? What kind of dog was it..
    RD

Tom Brown
    Do I dare ask? What kind of dog was it.
    I would really like to say it was a pit bull, just to piss you off.
    I don't know a lot about dogs. This was a fairly large dog, perhaps 24~28" at the shoulders, but it wasn't huge. I'd guess it to weigh maybe 100 lbs. Mostly, it was black with some brown on it. It wasn't skinny like a doberman and it wasn't as big as a doberman but it had some of the colorings. I'd guess it was a mutt.

boatsnblondes
    I have a yellow lab....for some reason, people always ask me if he is a good watchdog....I always say "yes, he is. He will watch you take everything we own right out the back door of the house." I got my moneys worth with this one, trust me.

spectras only
    [QUOTE=Rexone;
    I'm heading out to walk my dogs now. My baseball bat will be accompanying us as it always does. And I don't play baseball.[/QUOTE]
    Live in a nice neighborhood Mike ? :jawdrop:

spectras only
    [QUOTE=RiverDave
    I think the typical knee jerk reaction is stupid just becuase the word "pit" comes up. RD[/QUOTE]
    RD , Neva is a pussycat , one can tell by just looking at her face .Nothing like that dog it was posted with biceps like of Arnie's :idea: . There are some Dobermans I wouldn't want to cross paths with either , if it makes you feel better .

Live in a nice neighborhood Mike ? :jawdrop:
    Actually its pretty good. But stray dogs don't seem to care much. I've used the bat twice in about 15 years on stray dogs and glad I had it at those times. Usually a few hits on the ground and a stern warning stops em before stray dog to bat contact becomes necessary. Got lots of coyotes too although they don't seem to pay much attention to us when I encounter them.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast