Thread: What jet is better???????

86 catalina
    I have two berkley jets i was wondering what one is better..I have a 86 catalina open bow currently with a 454 engine,i am in the process of building a 496 chevy for it.The boat goes around 55 mph right now hoping to get it to go faster.The jets are both in good working order and was looking to put the best one on my boat>> They are both berkley jets one is a 12JG-A/And the other is a 12JC-A.>>>Also they have two diffrent types of nozzles and reverse mechanisms is one type better than another??I am new to jets just sold my baby i built from scratch a 68 hallett flattie v drive.Gonna try jet out for a while.//////////I am going to try to download pics for further help........thanks for any help....

Aduner2
    My pick would be pictures 111 & 333. I am not familiar with your boat and whether the droop would help or not. The blue anodized ring is a replacable nozzle which can used to vary the id for tuning purposes.

86 catalina
    My pick would be pictures 111 & 333. I am not familiar with your boat and whether the droop would help or not. The blue anodized ring is a replacable nozzle which can used to vary the id for tuning purposes.Just what is the droop designed for....the boat looks like a 85-90 eliminator open bow.....catalina wasnt building small boats for very long,mostly big salt water boats...

Cas
    I'm assuming those are the pictures of both pumps. If so, then the JC has had it's bowl switched out to a split bowl style. Either one of those pumps will do you just fine so I'd go with the one that needs the least amount of work.

86 catalina
    12JC-a is currently on my boat.And yes they guy i bought it from just had a place diverter installed.I dont know what split style means is there any reason that 12JG-a would be better for my boat ,droop ,aluminum inducer,the reverse mechanism,etc....They both have diffrent reverse set ups,when JC is in reverse it redirects backward,when JG is in forward it closes a little flap at the bottom of reverse,thus when in reverse the flap opens back up.Also i one newer than the other,can you tell by the model #? anyways thanks again for all your help .....

Cas
    here's your jg
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...chmentid=10995
    and here's a jc
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...__2005-med.jpg
    if you look closely, the jc is a single piece bowl whereas the jg has bolts thus the split bowl. Split bowl pumps allow for bolt ons such as the droop or a straight snoot. If you do a search for "droop", you will find a couple of pretty good threads in regards to what they do.
    Nice looking boat!

86 catalina
    any more ideas????