Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Specs

LUVNLIFE
    I have a Howard's roller cam that I don't have the card for. I was wondering if there is anyway to figure specs with it out of the motor or installed in a motor. Thanks

VDRIVERACING
    Durations gonna be tough, but a mechanic can measure the lift. If you pull the cam, there's a tool called the Cam Doctor that can measure all the specs. Most cam builders have this capability. Isky in Gardena can help you, and perhaps even provide suggestions on the best match for your combo.

LUVNLIFE
    Thanks. It is a solid roller with lifters that I want to sell so I need the specs. It came in a motor that I bought.

Fiat48
    Do you know how to degree a cam...have a degree wheel and dial indicator, etc?

LUVNLIFE
    Yes and that would work. I was thinking more along taking measurments with it out on the bench, only because I'm not installing it in a motor. Wouldn't I have to find someone putting a motor together then slide this cam in and measure it? Or could I do it with just a bare block with cam bearings? I do have that.

Fiat48
    Far as I know....you'd need a block, crank rod and piston and then run it throught the numbers.

Jetaholic
    Yeah you need at least the crank and the #1 piston installed to check it against a degree wheel.

SmokinLowriderSS
    On the bench you can measure lift, but to woirk out duration you will need the crank, timing setup, one piston & rod installed, all the bearings, and a degree wheel, and a dial indicator with a stand. A lot of careful measurements and you can work out the duration.
    Are there ANY numbers punched into the front face of the cam?

LUVNLIFE
    There is and this week I will call over to Chet Herbert where Donny J. is working and see if he can enlighten me.

thatguy
    Is there no part or grind number on the end of the Cam? You can rotate it on centers, like on a small lathe, and get lift and duration, don't forget to factor in rocker ratio. Just use a dial on it, put the degree wheel on the end against the center point. It takes a little math due to rocker ratio and crankshaft spins 2X what cam does. You won't know centers or valve open and close points, but if you get the lift and duration, and dur. at .050, then you can get the number and specs from the catalog or the manufacture.
    Tommy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast