Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump relay

moparjet
    do you really need to run a relay for the fuel pump? there isn't much drawing on the system except the ignition..areomotive says to put one on there pumps....how do you guys run your setups

78Eliminator
    do you really need to run a relay for the fuel pump? there isn't much drawing on the system except the ignition..areomotive says to put one on there pumps....how do you guys run your setups
    Seen them with, and seen them without. Depends on what kind of boat you have and the intended purpose. As long as you don't mind running thicker wire up to your control switch, I don't see a problem. Remember, the sole purpose of a relay is to be able to control a higher amp circuit with a lower amp circuit. Some guys like to isolate their fuel pumps and have a switch on them so they can empty their float bowls at the end of the day by simply shutting off the pump.

78Eliminator
    Rio, that is why I asked him what his intended purpose was. You have a drag boat. If this fellow is running some kind of cruiser and intends to run the pump by controlling it from the ignition switch, then yes, I would suggest the relay.
    Drag boats, well, we like to keep them very simple.

moparjet
    its a lake boat with a blown 440. i ran a holley blue pump from the ignition switch....but i have upgraded the fuel system for a 871.the wire is pretty heavy gauge and i never had a problem...but i want to be on the safe side now

Yes run a relay. I spoke to Aeromotive about it in detail. Their pumps can be down 30-40% on efficiency if they dont get the correct voltage, I know its hard to believe but I had some issues while not running a relay, those issues went away once I installed the relay. I personally run relays on everything.

67weimann
    I personally run relays on everything.
    Same here...

moparjet
    thanks guys
    i will be putting a relay on it.....rather be safe than sorry

ironman44bear
    I am in the same situation , what relay would you recommend ? I am running a mallory comp 140 with a bypass reg. pics and part #'s would help .
    Thanks,Ironman

sanger rat
    I used a nice waterproof relay from Spal fans. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/fan1a.htm

Any Bosch 30 amp relay will work. I started using MSD relays, Jegs and Summit have them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast