Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Heads?

widowmaker
    Going to start a new motor 502 with aluminum heads. Rectangle port, eventually I'm going to add a blower.
    I which kind of aluminum heads to buy? Merlin, Brodix, Edelbrock, Chevy?

steelcomp
    Brodix BB2X...the Reher Morrison casting.
    Oh...lookey here...just happen to have a set for sale!!!
    Seriously, to answer your question, if you're truely going to go with a blower, your focus should be more on ex port performance than intake...the blower will mask a multitude of sins in an intake port, but not the ex. The Canfields seem to have the best ex port by far. I was able to get over 300cfm with very little work on mine. If you aren't looking to spend a lot of $$, then I'd go with the Can's. If you want to step up to something expensive, go with the Brodix casting and get a custom CNC program for them. The reason I say that is the off-the-shelf CNC heads have a lot of room for improvement, and if you're going to spend that kind of $$, you might as wel get your $$ worth. From what I'm hearing, the AFR castings don't seem to clean up as well as the Brodix (with A CNC program) so for CNC, most guys are leaning toward the Brodix casting. For an off the shelf, non ported head, (a lot less expensive) the Canfield would be my first choice. It's also my second choice for a good CNC program, and I put it right up there with the Brodix.

widowmaker
    just out of curiosity what do you guys think of this set up for a pre - blown application?
    Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads
    300cc intake rect port heads
    Duration Advertised 335° Intake/329° Exhaust
    Duration @ .050'' 236° Intake/245° Exhaust
    Lift @ Valve .625'' Intake/.639'' Exhaust
    Lift @ Cam .368'' Intake/.376'' Exhaust
    Lobe Separation Angle 112°
    Intake Centerline 109°
    Intake Timing @ .050" Open 6° BTDC
    Close 51° ABDC
    Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 54° BBDC
    Close 11° ATDCs
    Edelbrock Power Package Crate Engine Top End Kit
    Designed especially for GM's ZZ502 HO Gen V or Gen VI short block, Power Package Top End Kit 350-2094 comes complete with a Victor Jr. 454-R intake manifold, Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads, Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam, timing chain and gear set, intake bolt, head bolts, and Edelbrock High-quality gaskets. Dyno tests on a GM 502 short block with flat top pistons and an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 800 cfm carburetor resulted in power readings of 611 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 579 ft/lbs. of torque @ 4500 rpm with pump gas.

don johnson
    There is a potentially nice set of used Dart 345's for sale in the spam section.

lilrick
    IMO....talk to the person who will be doing the machine work and helping you with the engine the most. There are alot of different cylinder head combinations and as you can see there are alot for sale in the spam section and for varying reasons. There are alot of reputable engine builders and they have more experience than alot of us part timers. People that make money building engines and are reputable, ARE for a reason.....For me, my relationship with my engine builder is priceless. I spend more upfront, but I save it in the end when the engine does everything he tells me it will.....He even tells me what it WON'T do.....hehehe LOL.

jbone
    I'm no expert, but this looks like a great foundation for what you are doing.
    J
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ght=long+block

78Eliminator
    Most important question is what you are going to put this motor in.

pw_Tony
    just out of curiosity what do you guys think of this set up for a pre - blown application?
    Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads
    300cc intake rect port heads
    Duration Advertised 335° Intake/329° Exhaust
    Duration @ .050'' 236° Intake/245° Exhaust
    Lift @ Valve .625'' Intake/.639'' Exhaust
    Lift @ Cam .368'' Intake/.376'' Exhaust
    Lobe Separation Angle 112°
    Intake Centerline 109°
    Intake Timing @ .050" Open 6° BTDC
    Close 51° ABDC
    Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 54° BBDC
    Close 11° ATDCs
    Edelbrock Power Package Crate Engine Top End Kit
    Designed especially for GM's ZZ502 HO Gen V or Gen VI short block, Power Package Top End Kit 350-2094 comes complete with a Victor Jr. 454-R intake manifold, Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads, Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam, timing chain and gear set, intake bolt, head bolts, and Edelbrock High-quality gaskets. Dyno tests on a GM 502 short block with flat top pistons and an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 800 cfm carburetor resulted in power readings of 611 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 579 ft/lbs. of torque @ 4500 rpm with pump gas.
    That's kinda starnge. Your advertised duration is MUCH higher thatn your .050. Most companies measure their advertise at .015-.020. And you advertised intake duration is higher than your exhaust, but at your .050 your exhaust duration is higher than your intake. Just kinda odd

VDRIVERACING
    In addition to your application, your budget is an important component to mention in this discussion. Prices for heads vary by thousands of dollars.
    CNC Darts are highly thought of, but will cost almost twice that of a set of RHS heads which are quickly gaining popularity for their out of box quality, performance, and competitive price. If bleeding edge performance for racing is not a consideration, than there are about four brands to choose from based on the best deal you can get at the time.
    It will help the contributors share their experiences if you narrow down your field.
    Boat application, HP range desired, budget range(complete ready to use).

ck7684
    Most cams I see show advertised and at .050

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast