Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this alt. bracket be strong enough..

TJS
    I kinda modified this alt. bracket arm (18.00) I got from Summit for an old style driver's mount V-8 Chevy for automotive use. I turned up a stand-off out of 6061 and then cut down the arm and redrilled it. I did not get a a belt yet cause I have to mock up the headers and the water injector lines. I just would like to kow if this will be strong enough.
    Thanks.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images...tbracket01.jpg
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images...tbracket02.jpg
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images...tbracket03.jpg

That should plenty strong enough. I never broke any.

IMO that looks fine to me. Most of the strength of the mount is from the pivot point bolt below.
    Looks real nice.
    How much of the adjustment can you actually use before the alternator hits the front plate/motor?

TJS
    IMO that looks fine to me. Most of the strength of the mount is from the pivot point bolt below.
    Looks real nice.
    How much of the adjustment can you actually use before the alternator hits the front plate/motor?
    Squirt,
    There is at least 2 or more inches, but I kind of want to keep it away from the plate because then that would bring the alt. closer to the water injector lines. I have yet to mock this up with the headers and the lines then I will measure for a belt.
    Thanks.
    T.J.

widowmaker
    That will be fine, I ran a set up like that for years in my sprint, now with the daytona I run a direct driven reverse alternator set up off the harmonic balancer and I love it , but then again I dont have a back seat either. Be sure to line up the two pulley or you will spit belts off.

Heatseeker
    Your bracket should be good. I have essentially the same set-up. The problem I've had with it is the pivot bolt breaking. I was using a stainless steel bolt(with a polished head). It broke twice so I went to a regular grade 5 and so far it's holding(1 season).

Cas
    TJ,
    Looks real good but you might, and I mean might, find that the alt wiggles a bit at idle. I used the same type of bracket with a different pivot and found I needed to add another brace to the top rear of the alt. It really didn't have any immediate adverse effects other than a wiggly alt, I just thought at some point it would be an issue with wearing out belts and/or alt bearings.
    You won't be able to find that out until you fire it off though.

Heatseeker
    That idle wiggle is what broke my pivot bolts! At speed, the alt. runs smooth as silk.

I did mine just slightly differently and never had any problems. Instead of mounting the adjusting arm with a long bolt and spacer(inherently weak), I anchored the arm at the top motor mount bolt. This placed the arm behind the adjuster bolt ear on the alternator. This allowed the alternator to be mounted closer to the block, and I have no problem clearing the header injection lines. The adjusting arm came from CP Performance(pt# 500-0957). It is about 1/2" thick at the engine end and is offset slightly to be a perfect fit to the adjusting ear. Sorry about the pic quality, it's all I have available.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...33Altbrkt1.jpg

pw_Tony
    I don't think it's strong enough. It looks pretty close to the one I use and every time I try to tension it it twist the alternator at an angle. I was actually just bout to post another thread about where to get a marine alternator bracket. I have a 460 and I'm using GM alternator. Anyone know where to get one? Here's a pic of mine. (I know there's no spacer on the top, I just mocked up to show what it looks like.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast