Thread: Sanger Bubbledeck Question

Lefty
    My brother and I went to the Goodguys Show this weekend in Pleasanton. There was a really nice Bubbledeck Sanger runnerbottom with drop chines. I talked to the owner and he said it was a 72. I should have taken some pics to post, but I guess I'm not to bright. My question, I did not think they started making Bubbledecks until 73? The other thing is I never saw drop chine's on a Bubbledeck Sanger before? If someone was interested in this boat I might be able to get in touch with the guy. He was asking $9500. It looked to be worth it.

72 superlite
    I have a 72 bubbledeck, runnerbottom. Its a 1" runner. What was the one you saw? Was it a superlite hull?

Lefty
    It didn't seem to be super lite. I didn't see any stress cracks. It actually looked pretty solid. I don't know how deep the runner is, it could have been inch, but was not more than that. Does yours have drop chines? If so I wonder why they went away from them?

RaysonKid
    Sanger had both the flat deck and the bubbledeck in 1972.
    The early seventies where also the great years of Blown Fuel Flats.
    Many of the manufacturers had factory race teams.
    So it was a time of experimenting with different bottom designs.
    The hull that Superlite72 has was banned from racing in Calif.
    The sanctioning body wouldnt allow Sanger to run it.
    It was sold to our Dad (A northwest racer).
    It also had a one of a kind strut.
    Or maybe that was just a Sanger sales pitch....

Lefty
    How light were these boats? Is the weight the reason they were banned or the design of the bottom?

BILLY.B
    My brother and I went to the Goodguys Show this weekend in Pleasanton. There was a really nice Bubbledeck Sanger runnerbottom with drop chines. I talked to the owner and he said it was a 72. I should have taken some pics to post, but I guess I'm not to bright. My question, I did not think they started making Bubbledecks until 73? The other thing is I never saw drop chine's on a Bubbledeck Sanger before? If someone was interested in this boat I might be able to get in touch with the guy. He was asking $9500. It looked to be worth it.There was the drag runner and the circle runner. The circle runner has a dropped chine and the pad area of the chine is around 1 1/2 to 2" inches wide. The boat also has a 3 piece plate much like a drag boat of today. The keel area on the circle runner is very deep in the front compared to the drag runner. To run APBA and be legal the keel & the chine have to be the same depth if a string were to be strung between the two. With that said is this the style of boat you were looking at?.

Lefty
    [QUOTE=BILLY.B;2476714]There was the drag runner and the circle runner. The circle runner has a dropped chine and the pad area of the chine is around 1 1/2 to 2" inches wide. The boat also has a 3 piece plate much like a drag boat of today.
    That is it. It was a circle style runner. What was amazing to me is how similar to the drag bottoms of today back in 72. The chines look to be 2" and not angle cut just flat. Thanks for the info guys. Billy if they only had Flat Bottom Jeopardy. Thanks

FlatStupid
    There was the drag runner and the circle runner. The circle runner has a dropped chine and the pad area of the chine is around 1 1/2 to 2" inches wide. The boat also has a 3 piece plate much like a drag boat of today. The keel area on the circle runner is very deep in the front compared to the drag runner. To run APBA and be legal the keel & the chine have to be the same depth if a string were to be strung between the two. With that said is this the style of boat you were looking at?.How do you know this smart ass???????????

RaysonKid
    How light were these boats? Is the weight the reason they were banned or the design of the bottom?
    Superlite72's bare hull is a little over 400#.