Thread: Any experience with Jeg's mini hi torque starters?

I've had a problem cranking over my 68s built 390 since I assembled it 8 years ago (explains why it only has 400 miles on it). It's fine with a full charge on the battery and the engine is cold, but as soon as it's at operating temp, heat soak from the headers and the compression (10.25:1) make it a pain to start. I bought the mini hi torque starter and am making custom 1 gauge cables throughout as well as a braided ground strap from the engine to the frame.
    Has anyone run a Jegs Prostart mini starter? Do they last? Do they crank a higher comp engine as advertised? It's a PIA to pull the idler and drag link to replace the starter, so I'd like to know in advance what I'm in for.

riverbound
    I've had a problem cranking over my 68s built 390 since I assembled it 8 years ago (explains why it only has 400 miles on it). It's fine with a full charge on the battery and the engine is cold, but as soon as it's at operating temp, heat soak from the headers and the compression (10.25:1) make it a pain to start. I bought the mini hi torque starter and am making custom 1 gauge cables throughout as well as a braided ground strap from the engine to the frame.
    Has anyone run a Jegs Prostart mini starter? Do they last? Do they crank a higher comp engine as advertised? It's a PIA to pull the idler and drag link to replace the starter, so I'd like to know in advance what I'm in for.
    I had similar problems with my Jet (DILLIGAF's new boat) and went through many starters. I finally bought the high Torque mini from Summitt and had no problems after that. It has been in the boat for 3 seasons now and still works great.

Cheyenne19
    I've got the Jeg's on my 505 at 10.5. It spins the heck out of it. Also, I got submarined last year and the starter sat under water for about half an hour. It never phased it.

I installed the starter and starter cable today (4 hour job on a big block mustang), and the difference is like night and day. Cranks hot, cranks cold, with the twin fans on..... it's great! Now I just have to get past the different sound of this starter.