Thread: Bypassing water pickup on XR Bravo?

Brian
    I'm switching over to an offshore style water pickup this year to increase water flow with the new motor setup. Any issues I should be aware of when capping off the water flow through the Bravo? Also, is there a recommended method for doing this? I was planning on making a block plate for the inner transom fitting, but haven't really decided yet what to do with the hose that goes through the gimbal. I guess I'm not sure if the drive needs water flowing through it for cooling or something. Any inputs much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -Brian

kevnmcd
    If your just trying to increase flow....why not just add a tee in the current pick-up hose for your offshore pick-up?

paradigm shift
    I'm switching over to an offshore style water pickup this year to increase water flow with the new motor setup. Any issues I should be aware of when capping off the water flow through the Bravo? Also, is there a recommended method for doing this? I was planning on making a block plate for the inner transom fitting, but haven't really decided yet what to do with the hose that goes through the gimbal. I guess I'm not sure if the drive needs water flowing through it for cooling or something. Any inputs much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -Brian
    Do NOT block the water. You are correct it is a major part of cooling the oil in a bravo. What some do is just run a hose from the inside hose connection and a dump fitting on the transome to direct the water on top of the drive for extra cooling. Call Teague - Billet Marine if you are not sure but I deffinently would do not block it. :crossx:

Brian
    Kevin, I hadn't really considered running two pickups (one in the drive, one separate) into the same line to the pump, but that might work come to think of it. That would keep water flowing through the drive and help provide extra water for the intercooler and plenty for the motor. As long as there's ram pressure in the pickups, the low pressure side should be the pump and keep everything flowing in the right direction. I'll probably make a couple of phone calls and see what the "pros" think! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    -Brian

Panic Button
    I get plenty of water movement with offshore pick ups even while stopped. You'd be amazed how much the Merc pump pulls. I would upgrade the pump to a "run dry" style pump/impeller and install a sea strainer, get a good drive shower (Simrek) and you should be fine.

gmocnik
    "That would keep water flowing through the drive and help provide extra water for the intercooler and plenty for the motor"
    Use the thru hull/sea strainer/pump line to cool the motor. Use the drive pickup line to feed the intercooler. that will provide flow/cooling thru the intercooler only at speed when you need it. too cool af uel charge at idle speeds can be an issue...
    gm

Brian
    Use the thru hull/sea strainer/pump line to cool the motor. Use the drive pickup line to feed the intercooler. that will provide flow/cooling thru the intercooler only at speed when you need it. too cool af uel charge at idle speeds can be an issue...
    gm
    That's a good idea too that I was also kicking around. Some parts have started to show up so it might be some time to drill some holes in the boat... :cry:

hotlavey
    "That would keep water flowing through the drive and help provide extra water for the intercooler and plenty for the motor"
    gm
    I had a sea strainer/off shore pick up installed for the inter-cooler. It has a 25# relief valve. I use the drive water for the engine and it provides 25-30 # of pressure. Works great.