Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive question????

Concept1
    O.k. as im getting closer to getting a new motor I wanted to ask about the drive. Considering im looking at and 848 TPI or something close to that in HP. What drives should I be looking at to match. My boat has a 496 HO and the Merc Drive as well, Im assuming that the stock drive wont work right?

RiverDave
    O.k. as im getting closer to getting a new motor I wanted to ask about the drive. Considering im looking at and 848 TPI or something close to that in HP. What drives should I be looking at to match. My boat has a 496 HO and the Merc Drive as well, Im assuming that the stock drive wont work right?
    Your Stock Bravo will most likely break if you put that much HP to it.. Scratch that, it's gonna break sooner or later... most likely sooner.
    There is a lot of places that have upgraded drives and honestly everyones opinion on this subject is different. Some people say Teague platinum's are the way to go, others say Imco.. Honestly they all break.
    There is some guys doing some drives with some success though, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the shop right now. It will come to me later today and I'll post it.
    In the meantime here is a link to a webpage.. Scroll about half way down and you'll see the drive packages. Most likely your going to end up buying new gear sets and shafts etc.. and having some one like Absolute out in Havasu put them in your existing drive.
    http://www.billetmarine.com/Our%20Products.htm
    You do have hydraulic steering right?
    RD

MR HARLEY
    Most likely your going to end up buying new gear sets and shafts etc.. and having some one like Absolute out in Havasu put them in your existing drive.
    RD,
    What would one be looking to pay for an upgrade like this as you have spoken of (gears, shaft, etc.....), if they already have a platinum XR drive and Dual Hydraulic steering.
    Thanks.

Concept1
    Your Stock Bravo will most likely break if you put that much HP to it.. Scratch that, it's gonna break sooner or later... most likely sooner.
    There is a lot of places that have upgraded drives and honestly everyones opinion on this subject is different. Some people say Teague platinum's are the way to go, others say Imco.. Honestly they all break.
    There is some guys doing some drives with some success though, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the shop right now. It will come to me later today and I'll post it.
    In the meantime here is a link to a webpage.. Scroll about half way down and you'll see the drive packages. Most likely your going to end up buying new gear sets and shafts etc.. and having some one like Absolute out in Havasu put them in your existing drive.
    http://www.billetmarine.com/Our%20Products.htm
    You do have hydraulic steering right?
    RD
    Thanks RD yes it has HYD steering but I know i need to add 1 more piston to it. I was looking on OSO and there are alot of them for sale that didnt sound all that bad to replace it with a really good one.Ill look for your lost about the upgrades and call them. Thanks again for the help!!

RiverDave
    RD,
    What would one be looking to pay for an upgrade like this as you have spoken of (gears, shaft, etc.....), if they already have a platinum XR drive and Dual Hydraulic steering.
    Thanks.
    Honestly I'm probably the wrong guy to ask as it isn't my field of expertise as they say.. LOL I would think the guys in the Cats and Tunnels section would be far more knowledgeable then me on the subject.
    If I had to take a shot in the dark? 8'ish or there abouts? That would be installed with all the billy bad ass parts.. I might be way off the mark here, but I'd struggle to pay much more then that?
    I'm really trying to remember the name of that company that does the latest and greatest with the I/O's.. I know they made a complete Billet Drive, and rated it for 1000 HP. They sold the complete drive for 15K. Got some rave reviews on the board.. (Ringing a bell here?) In any event I know people with just about everyone elses deals and they've all broke pretty regularly (Imco, Teagues, etc..). I haven't heard of one of these guy's failing yet. Or rather I've not heard of them not standing behind their product. I want to say they were located in Havasu of all places?
    RD

Jordy
    I'm really trying to remember the name of that company that does the latest and greatest with the I/O's.. I know they made a complete Billet Drive, and rated it for 1000 HP. They sold the complete drive for 15K. Got some rave reviews on the board.. (Ringing a bell here?) In any event I know people with just about everyone elses deals and they've all broke pretty regularly (Imco, Teagues, etc..). I haven't heard of one of these guy's failing yet. Or rather I've not heard of them not standing behind their product. I want to say they were located in Havasu of all places?
    RD
    Konrad is building some pretty beefy drives right now. I think Max Machine Works, or something along those lines, was as well. Call BB572 as he should know the in's and out's after his frequent drive eating Carrera.

Concept1
    Thanks Jordy!

Jordy
    Thanks Jordy!
    You could always just go really baller, take out the back seat, move everything forward and just hang a #6 off the back.

phebus
    Honestly I'm probably the wrong guy to ask as it isn't my field of expertise as they say.. LOL I would think the guys in the Cats and Tunnels section would be far more knowledgeable then me on the subject.
    If I had to take a shot in the dark? 8'ish or there abouts? That would be installed with all the billy bad ass parts.. I might be way off the mark here, but I'd struggle to pay much more then that?
    RD
    Max Machine Worx

ToMorrow44
    Teague Platinum XR and the IMCO Extreme are pretty much the same thing...same materials. Both are plenty strong to handle the 848 especially behind a boat like yours that's relatively light. Just be easy on it out of the hole and you'll have no problem. I'm pretty sure Teague has a 1 year warranty with theirs but I don't know about IMCO. You could do an IMCO 1000 or 4x4 with a transmission built into an extension box but I think that would be overkill for your application.
    -Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast