Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Roger's guys out there??

707-CREW
    I have a 1987 21' rcb day cruiser and have not been able to find out much about these boats. I had to sell the 100mph sanger flat years ago and get a boat with some back seats for the two kids. I bought this boat a few years back and it has been an awesome boat. I think it came with a jet but the original owner had a king cobra 454 i/o installed. The boat handles excellent and I have got about 68-70mph with 2 people in it. It has the shift cone set up and I was told this was the best cobra outdrive made. It was installed in 93 and was suppose to be the hot set up back then........I guess...well they are now gone...anyway..I need to go at least 85-90mph to be happy....Will this hull handle more ponies? Is it worth puting money into this boat? what would be the best way to get more mph? Is a rogers hull a good design? any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.......thanks

Havasu Carrera
    You'll gain 10 mph with a larger prop and about 5 lbs of boost. Staying in the same rpm range. Be carefull with those cast pistons though. I think they are only truly good for about 3 lbs of boost but be EASY on it and use it sparingly.

707-CREW
    I have no blower...if this is what you are talking about...thanks

flat broke
    They are nice hulls.
    Old Rigger here on the boards could give you more specific information as he has good insight into Rogers boats in general; but I would put them in the league of a Spectra or Howard as far as performance capability as they are similar in size/construction.
    Specific to your situation, the first thing I would want to know is whether or not the boat was really a jet coverted to I/O. That may raise some questions as to who repaired the big hole that would be in the bottom of the hull from the jet intake and whether or not the area is structurally stable for the stress you're going to be adding. With the boat being an 87, there is a decent likelyhood that it could have come from the factory with the outdrive since I believe that package was available in 87. But again, I would defer to Old Rigger here on the boards as he might be able to say whether or not any were ever rigged from Rogers with that pacakage.
    So basically, it is possible to go those speeds, if the hull is in good shape, the Rogers build would warrant the strength to support the speeds, and the hulls are easy on the eyes to boot.
    Now if you're actually going to buck up and try for those numbers make sure you budget for full hydraulic steering and save some money for a good set of tabs just in case you end up needing them.
    Nice boat, and good luck with it.
    Chris

76 Bonneville
    Nice family cruiser. I see that your boat is on craigs list, Did you change your mind and decide you build it up? Roger is known for building high quality fast hulls. I'm not very familiar with the VIP hull, but I'm sure Oldrigger will give you some great advise. He worked for Roger. Good Luck!!

victorfb
    from what oldrigger has said before, i think that 21 was made from a Conquest mold that Hallett sold Roger. the bottom is a Spectra design. and as said allready, Roger was know for building good strong hulls. so you may actually be able to put some real good HP to it and get some good speeds. lets hope Rich chimes in here soon, and sets us all straight.

throwerb
    I have a 1990 and from what I could gather it was laid up for Rogers by Howard and we all know how they build them.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1807003_0A.JPG

707-CREW
    Thanks to you all so far....Mabe it was set up with an i/o from the factory. I have all reciepts from the original owner and in 93 they installed the whole package engine and drive for 10,000 at lucerne marine up by clear lake......I think it's clear lake.
    As for selling it on craigs list......we'll see. I was checking into just getting a larger cat (daytona) but the wife likes this boat more than me I think.???
    Mabe old rigger can jump in hopefully....thanks again guys...

from what oldrigger has said before, i think that 21 was made from a Conquest mold that Hallett sold Roger. the bottom is a Spectra design. and as said allready, Roger was know for building good strong hulls. so you may actually be able to put some real good HP to it and get some good speeds.
    Bingo

I have a 1990 and from what I could gather it was laid up for Rogers by Howard and we all know how they build them.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...1807003_0A.JPG
    Nothing could be further form the truth. Why on earth would Roger let the then new owners of Howard lay up his hulls let alone touch his molds? He's forgotten more than Gene will ever know about fiberglass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast