Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my old race boat

Wizard612
    By the way, Beerjet. you ask why would I do that? Well in the day you always wanted an edge, go faster, turn better, have more control. This new age of "nostalga racing" takes a lot out of the equation. Only going XXX MPH comletely eliminates the idea of moving the class forward. Mount a GPS to the boat tie it to your throttle with an MPH limiter and cruse around the course, HOW BORING!!! I had the opportuntity to pick any hull I wanted to go circle racing out of the box as a rookie. I was very lucky because I was connected to Craig Millet and Nova Parformance. Our normal way of thinking back then was, we should be the most progressive team in racing and to not sit on our backsides. We wanted to go with a tunnel because the outboard guys were by far the best at circle racing ever and we thought with the right setup we could take jets to the next level. We in fact did, but due to our changing lives at the time and money drying up the team didn't last. Jets not going to tunnels as a primary commercial design I think was probably our fault. The Liberty Tunnel that Jeff Bennett and I designed turned well, was very stable and a pleasure to drive. If we made it lighter hence quicker it could haved changed the world. It didn't become a commercial success because of marketing and Liberty was going through big problems at the time.
    So you ask why did I do it? In the words of Sir Edmond Hilery on climbing Mount Everest... " because it was there"...

By the way, Beerjet. you ask why would I do that? Well in the day you always wanted an edge, go faster, turn better, have more control. This new age of "nostalga racing" takes a lot out of the equation. Only going XXX MPH comletely eliminates the idea of moving the class forward. Mount a GPS to the boat tie it to your throttle with an MPH limiter and cruse around the course, HOW BORING!!! I had the opportuntity to pick any hull I wanted to go circle racing out of the box as a rookie. I was very lucky because I was connected to Craig Millet and Nova Parformance. Our normal way of thinking back then was, we should be the most progressive team in racing and to not sit on our backsides. We wanted to go with a tunnel because the outboard guys were by far the best at circle racing ever and we thought with the right setup we could take jets to the next level. We in fact did, but due to our changing lives at the time and money drying up the team didn't last. Jets not going to tunnels as a primary commercial design I think was probably our fault. The Liberty Tunnel that Jeff Bennett and I designed turned well, was very stable and a pleasure to drive. If we made it lighter hence quicker it could haved changed the world. It didn't become a commercial success because of marketing and Liberty was going through big problems at the time.
    So you ask why did I do it? In the words of Sir Edmond Hilery on climbing Mount Everest... " because it was there"...Always informative , thank you Tom .
    -beerjet-

Ralph Brunt
    I remember your name, i raced mod jet, #460 and still do,those were the good old days, Jim
    yeah but now you go straight

Emanon Performance Marine
    I saw this post, well quite frankly it pisses me off. I have built this class with very little help from Old timers. I have worked countless hours with APBA and SCSC to make this happen. No disrespect but I think it might be a good time for you old guys to come on out and show us how it is done. Help the sport don't hurt it.
    Here is a link to the class rules;
    http://www.socaljetboats.com/index.p...;topicseen#new
    This new age of "nostalga racing" takes a lot out of the equation. Only going XXX MPH comletely eliminates the idea of moving the class forward. Mount a GPS to the boat tie it to your throttle with an MPH limiter and cruse around the course, HOW BORING!!! ..
    This "Boring" form of racing is in its beniging years, we need all the support we can get. The future plan is to take it National. Things take time. It took alot to even sell this to APBA. The 80.9mph max speed takes the big $$$ guys and puts them at the same level as the home town back yard racer. This is the only thing that the APBA would go for in a series. Now if you go out to The Idaho Regatta the Comp Jet class is pritty wide open, but it is a one race event. We also have the 300 in Parker AZ where there is no speed limit.

Wizard612
    Sorry for the rushed interpritation. I in no way meant Boring in the way you took it. As long as the class has a grassroots feel and intended to entertain the croud and give the drivers the opportunity to race I think it's great. But racing is racing and if you think that a MPH limit will keep the big spenders in line, it has never happened before and it will probably never happen in the future. Dollars will figure out a way to get arround a course in the shortest amount of time. As I said in my post about a GPS hooked to your throttle, not available yet I don't think but a little money and it will, or how about a way to make a boat take a set and turn @ 80.9 or how about a way to get to the starting line exactly right going exactly 80.9 or etc, etc. APBA didn't like jets much back in the day but we had good size classes and they kind of had to recognise us. but once it fell off... good by! Try to find APBA archives of our old records, or members, or photos. I wish you guys all the best and I would love to join you some day but way too many priorities have to take a front seat. My partners are wondering what job number to put this post to so I better get off. Talk later

MikeF
    I saw this post, well quite frankly it pisses me off.
    SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,.....yeah that pissed alot of people off too..............ALOT! Lest we not forget.
    Sorry for the rushed interpritation. I in no way meant Boring in the way you took it.
    Tom, You are completely intitled to your opinion! (interpretation aside) It is relevent and all your experience racing that you all were doing speaks volumes.

poncho-pwr
    The 80.9mph max speed takes the big $$$ guys and puts them at the same level as the home town back yard racer Rules like this have never kept big $$$ guys at the same level as the home town back yard racers. As a matter of fact, the only person they hurt is the low budget home town back yard racer who doesn't have Bazillions of dollars to spend to figure out the quickest way around or down a race course within set limitations such as MPH limits and the like. Just look at asphalt drag racing for example, in the past there have been classes that had limitations put on them such as cast iron heads only, cast intake only, single carb, X-amount of cam lift, compression limits ect. ect. in order to keep costs down and create pairity. In reality what it does is gives a huge advantage to the teams with deep pockets who can do unlimited research and testing in every possible area within the given rules.
    Dollars will figure out a way to get arround a course in the shortest amount of time. As I said in my post about a GPS hooked to your throttle, not available yet I don't think but a little money and it will, or how about a way to make a boat take a set and turn @ 80.9 or how about a way to get to the starting line exactly right going exactly 80.9 or etc, etc.E]This is very true.
    All that being said I think it is cool anytime somebody does something to resurrect any of the old racing classes whether they be asphalt or liquid..I have never seen a circle boat race but I would love to. Where do they have them? Are there any near Arkansas? How big are the courses and how far do they usually run?

El Prosecutor
    SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,.....yeah that pissed alot of people off too..............ALOT! Lest we not forget.
    No use picking scabs if they are healing properly. Jim has substantially reduced the intensity of his marketing tactics since changing his user ID. I got one pm from him when he started posting again, just to let me know he was here. I haven't personally seen any spam from him since.

Goad
    No use picking scabs if they are healing properly.
    couldnt have said it better.

Wizard612
    Alright Guys I'm sorry I screwed this thread up with some comments that nobody wanted to hear. I truly hope that by you bringing back nostalga racing everyone will approach it the way you guys are intending it. Hopefully dilligence and oversight by you, the grassroots guys, will keep this going and allow it to grow. At some point if you are successful be prepaired to develope new classes some nostalga some not that trully return Jet racing back to where it was.
    Buy the way this all started with me trying to find my old boat. Anyone hear anything?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast