Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Output Shaft

hondo Jim
    The Out Put Shaft Coming Out From The V-drive. What Would It Take To Twist This Shaft And How Much Horse Power.does Anyone Have Any Ideas????????

Moneypitt
    The Out Put Shaft Coming Out From The V-drive. What Would It Take To Twist This Shaft And How Much Horse Power.does Anyone Have Any Ideas????????
    Depends on what you hit??? Seriously, I've seen the key twisted before, ruined the coupler, but never really seen an output shaft twist...........MP

hondo Jim
    Alittle Mud, Buggered Up The Edge Of The Prop Alittle

I've seen a lot of them break. Depends on the diameter (there are several), the material, and the HP.
    I've seen a lot fail in ski racing over the years, mostly higher HP turbo stuff. Crack lots of times starts at the end of the key but I've seen them break elsewhere also. Metal fatigue over time.
    The bigger the shaft the better for power. Casale common sizes are 1" , 1 1/8", 1 1/4", and 1 3/8". They may make larger than that, don't know.

beaverfab
    What I have seen is the boats making 500 hp or the 11 second and slower boats twist output shafts more than the faster boats. My idea is that they hookup and do not slip. Not having the power to overcome the force of the water and twist the shaft more than boats with moor HP. Just my .02 j.j.

yep that's an interesting thought, no one broke an output shaft in about 3 or 4 seasons of GN racing, a bunch of us pull out the blower motors, in mild n/a's and break 3 outputs and 1 set of whirlaway dogs at the Bluewater 300. Go figure.

hondo Jim
    Seems Like It Would Twist The Prop Shaft First Becouse It Is Smaller Compared To 6-12 In.

no, it doesn't like that, the prop shaft acts like torsen (sic) bar the output shaft is so short that almost any twist is too much twist, thats why a LOT of guys run larger output shafts than prop shafts and a step coupler.

VDRIVERACING
    no, it doesn't like that, the prop shaft acts like torsen (sic) bar the output shaft is so short that almost any twist is too much twist, thats why a LOT of guys run larger output shafts than prop shafts and a step coupler.
    Rush set us up with a 1 3/8" output shaft, turning our original 1" prop shaft....

wsuwrhr
    Rush set us up with a 1 3/8" output shaft, turning our original 1" prop shaft....
    Too bad he didn't send that package from PRISON.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast