Thread: The motor looks crooked

f_inscreenname
    I am in the process of installing a 454 to my Volvo 280T in place of my Mopar 360 that was in the boat before. I am having a issue getting the thing lined up. When I first tried to install the 454 motor I found out that I needed to raise the motor mounts blocks (what the 454 mounts sit on in the boat) by almost 2” to match the height of the Mopar. I did that and now the (with a little adjustment of the big motor mount bolts) bell housing fits perfectly in the transom shield. With that done it was time to line up the front of the motor. I did that buy checking the tabs on the bell housing to the transom shield. They are almost perfect in space apart on all sides but the motor looks crooked. If you look in the picture you can see the motor sits closer to the right stringer then it does to the left side. Is that normal or is there another way of doing it?
    http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9323/45dg2.jpg

GofastRacer
    Yep it's over to the right about a 1/2" or so, was the Mopar the same way???..

f_inscreenname
    Honestly so much has been changed (motors, transom shields) in this boat over the years it may have never been right. But from what I remember and seeing in past pictures it looks like it sat pretty centered but this is a different motor (mopar to Chevy). Its right at the transom shield but sure don't look like it.

GofastRacer
    Don't matter what motor it is, it all mounts the same. Might want to put a square against the flange on the drive and the stringer and then the motor, they should be the same, with a u-joint deal it's easy to be off from side to side!..

cfm
    Don't know about Volvo drive set up's but with mercruiser you have an alignment tool (long steel shaft) that you push in thru the gimbal bearing from outside of boat into the coupler. If alignment shaft pushes in easy, the motor is where it is supposed to be. If not, keep moving motor until it does go in easy.
    Maybe something like this for your drive set-up?

f_inscreenname
    Sorry CFM but Volvo and Merc are two different animals. Thanks for looking anyway.

maddad
    Hi f_in, the Volvo set up, with those rubber doughnuts, is a close is good enough situation. You can move it wherever you want within reason. Before I set my mounts, I put the Stainless manifolds and risers on and made sure they were at the exhaust tips. The risers end about 3/4" from the tips, so thats what mattered to me.

f_inscreenname
    I hear what you are saying. It is about as square as it can be to the transom shield. It still seems a little cocked but some say that may be to off set prop torque. We will see. I guess thats what test drives are for.

f_inscreenname
    Now that you say something about exhaust, the Mopar's exhaust was always a little tighter to install on one side then the other and thats with 3 different exhaust systems so I think it should be like it is (crooked). Just never noticed it before.