Thread: Torque specs for aluminum heads on a bowtie block

Speedin' Ian
    What should we torque these down to?
    Dart heads on a bowtie block with studs

Moneypitt
    Ian, I think the torque value is established by the fastener, not what is being torqued. If using ARP studs, go by the ARP reccomended torque, using ARP thread lube. I think its 80# with 30wt, and 63# with ARP lube. Those numbers are for the 190K studs.........
    Do the heads/block have the extra holes through the intake runners? What does Dart say about their heads? ............Ray

Schiada76
    Check ARP's website.

Moneypitt
    The info I gave you was right off the ARP torque sheet, but for 190K studs. If you have different ARP studs, PM me, the sheet has them all............Ray

steelcomp
    ARP typically shows slightly less torque when using aluminum heads, to allow for heat expansion.
    Quote: ARP 190,000 psi 7/16" dia.
    [A] Torque values are based on 75% of the fastener yield strength. Use the manufacturer's torque sequence but do not use the engine manufacturer's torque specs. Torque the nuts to 70 ft lbs for ARP Moly Asembly Lubricant (or ARP thread sealer) or torque to 85 ft lbs with 30 wt. motor oil.
    [B] Due to the expansion rate of aluminum, it is recommended that the torque should be 65 ft lbs with ARP Moly Assembly Lubricant (or ARP thread sealer)

Fiat48
    I caution anyone on using arp's lube torque verses motor oil without checking the following:
    Torque the nut on the stud using your engines motor oil. Do this a few times. The mark the nut in reference to the head.
    Now clean off all motor oil...from stud and nut..brakeclean or what have you. Now use the arp lube. Torque the nut back down to the same torque spec used above.
    Look at your reference mark you made in step one. Does the mark align?

Moneypitt
    ARP typically shows slightly less torque when using aluminum heads, to allow for heat expansion.
    Quote: ARP 190,000 psi 7/16" dia.
    [A] Torque values are based on 75% of the fastener yield strength. Use the manufacturer's torque sequence but do not use the engine manufacturer's torque specs. Torque the nuts to 70 ft lbs for ARP Moly Asembly Lubricant (or ARP thread sealer) or torque to 85 ft lbs with 30 wt. motor oil.
    [B] Due to the expansion rate of aluminum, it is recommended that the torque should be 65 ft lbs with ARP Moly Assembly Lubricant (or ARP thread sealer)
    190K 80 w/ 30wt..........63 w/ ARP lube
    220K 89 w/ 30wt..........70 w/ARP lube.........These numbers are right off an ARP torque sheet. Where are you getting 85 and 70 for 190K studs? .....MP