Thread: How to have a clean flame arrester and make the wife happy at the same time..

GunninGopher
    I bought a 1979 19' Charger mini-cruiser last weekend and am going through cleaning up things and such. I paid $3,000 for it, knowing that it needed a carb rebuild (done). The spark arrester was really dirty. We'll I was home alone Friday, and I thought the dishwasher would be perfect to clean off all the grease and grime.
    I emptied it out, put the filter in there, put some soap in and let it run. I turned it every 15 minutes or so. It came out looking great and I got a bonus. When my wife got home she was very appreciative of me for emptying out the dishwasher!!
    I've never had an enclosed engine boat before, my previous experience being with an open engine jet, jet ski's and outboards. This is one of those 5 1/2" round wire mesh types. It doesn't look like it filters very well. Do I need to add anything to it for it to function properly? I'd think that it should at least have a foam filter around it. I'm considering ordering up a larger one, since I think there is room.
    Is there some advice out there fo me on this one?

sanger rat
    Get a K&n filter.

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you have the height, K&N MARINE filtercharger. The good thing is it's USCG ok'd so the cops don't give ya hell, and it actually filters the air, which the flame arrestor does nothing about. The bad part is that if you have a height issue, the top & bottom of the marine one are Stainless Steel (the aluminum regular filtercharger parts are not USCG approved) and does not come with a drooped base plate. It is flat-based. You COULD split the dif and get the std filtercharger setup and but just the USCG top plate, so as to fool the nosey types, and save a few bucks. The mesh screen on the K&N serves the same flame arrestor function as the plain arrestor.

76ANTHONY
    HAHAHA, boatcops reall love those K&N filters, it gives them an excuse to bust your balls. i keep my paperwork on my filters n the boat. they do run alot nicer though.

I bought a 1979 19' Charger mini-cruiser last weekend and am going through cleaning up things and such. I paid $3,000 for it, knowing that it needed a carb rebuild (done). The spark arrester was really dirty. We'll I was home alone Friday, and I thought the dishwasher would be perfect to clean off all the grease and grime.
    I emptied it out, put the filter in there, put some soap in and let it run. I turned it every 15 minutes or so. It came out looking great and I got a bonus. When my wife got home she was very appreciative of me for emptying out the dishwasher!!
    I've never had an enclosed engine boat before, my previous experience being with an open engine jet, jet ski's and outboards. This is one of those 5 1/2" round wire mesh types. It doesn't look like it filters very well. Do I need to add anything to it for it to function properly? I'd think that it should at least have a foam filter around it. I'm considering ordering up a larger one, since I think there is room.
    Is there some advice out there fo me on this one?
    So what you are sayin is turn my dishwasher into a parts washer :idea: seein as how I'm limited on space and I'm never around the old lady might like this idea

jbone
    CDOG is selling a very nice flame arrestor in the spam forum.
    Hey CDOG, finders fee???
    J
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ght=Alternator