Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head Gaskets

Tee
    Did a search and couldn't find anything on this.
    What are the hazards with using a thicker head gasket to lower compression?
    And are copper head gaskets good with blowers?
    Thanks --------- Tee

Blown 472
    If you increase the thickness you are going to get away from the correct quench area which I believe is 35 to 40 thou, thus bringing detonation into play, the copper gaskets are good but from what I have heard water leaks are a pain, there is some stuff called halon in a tube that stays flexible and seals leaks, I might be off on some of this stuff so any one else care to jump as I here the horn for the bus.

Unchained
    I just seen an ad in drag boat review for rubber coated copper head gaskets.
    www.flatoutgaskets.com

Cheyenne 572
    I've used Cooper head gasket's with no problem's on the lake or racing.Just my .02 cent's.
    Cheyenne 572

Ian
    Cheyenne 572 is luckier than most, because cooper head gaskets area a b@*%ch to seal, infact my head guy even has a hell of a time getting them to seal. I recently had a valve job and it took me three tries to get the head gaskets to seal. Everytime I got the motor back together it ran fine on the trailer hooked up to the hose, but as soon as I got going on the river water would start dripping out of the front of the motor (v-drive side). Good luck

superdave013
    Ian:
    Cheyenne 572 is luckier than most, because cooper head gaskets area a b@*%ch to seal, infact my head guy even has a hell of a time getting them to seal. I recently had a valve job and it took me three tries to get the head gaskets to seal. Everytime I got the motor back together it ran fine on the trailer hooked up to the hose, but as soon as I got going on the river water would start dripping out of the front of the motor (v-drive side). Good luck Try the gaskets that Clay Smit sells. Much better then copper.

Heatseeker
    Blown 472:
    there is some stuff called halon in a tube that stays flexible and seals leaks, I think you're talking about hylomar. I saw it in the Scoggin-Dickey catalog. And I just happened to find a couple tubes at work. It's supposed to be the stuff that works with copper head gaskets.

Unchained
    Don't waste your time with Hylomar.
    Been there, Done that, had water leaks, extra tear downs. Bad idea.
    Use silicone around the water transfer ports. It works great. Clean off with a wire brush on an air grinder when you need to remove the heads.

Infomaniac
    Been there with Hylomar also. It did not seal up for me. Spray and tube both.
    SuperDave is correct. The Detroit gaskets sold by Clay Smith worked good for me.

Jrocket
    I was having gasket problems on my little turbo motor.I tried copper and they helped a little but didnt fix my problem.I never got a real good seal from them due to my combustion chamber problems.I would try what SuperDave recommended. wink

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast